Save our Grammar Schools from the proposed changes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: Save our Grammar Schools - sign the petition

Post by Tinkers »

From my own local experience, replying to the consultation is far more important. LAs respond to those far more than petitions.

However you feel, respond to the consultation. Petitions hold little weight.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I do think the title of this thread is misleading though....as others have pointed out about the petition, the title implies that they are going to be closed (and we all know that people on this forum do not read whole threads carefully!)

Mods - could the title be changed to reflect that they are NOT in danger of closing, just changing catchments?
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Emmal - The wording of the petition is quite clear at the start of the second paragraph

"Proposals to create new catchment areas around each Grammar School"
Last edited by nervousmom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
nervousmom

Re: Save our Grammar Schools from the proposed changes

Post by nervousmom »

KCG - think you are right , I've changed the wording of the title.

I have also responded to the consultation process, with a lengthy 6 point statement!
Emmal

Post by Emmal »

But the title of your petition is "Death of the Grammar Schools in Birmingham". Many people reading a national website will be sucked in by that, without reading the body text or understanding the single reference to catchments.
piggys

Post by piggys »

Why don't you support a catchment, OP?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think the title of the thread now is a fairer reflection, thank you. The petition is fairly poor still though and, as another poster has said, will be unlikely to hold much sway - the consultation is the key place to record comments - positive or negative.

Looking as an outsider, with no vested interest as I have no other children coming through - just a curious observer, whilst there are losers with all proposed changes, there is a lot of good intention in these proposals too and, for a vast swathe of Birmingham, there are potential GS children who will now have the opportunity to go to a school local to them, where they would not usually have had the chance. We all know from Bucks and Glos how daft it is to drive past one school on the way to another, when they are both GS.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Emmal wrote:But the title of your petition is "Death of the Grammar Schools in Birmingham". Many people reading a national website will be sucked in by that, without reading the body text or understanding the single reference to catchments.
I guess the person setting up wanted to gain people's attention.
piggys

Post by piggys »

I'll ask again: what are your objections, OP?
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I think the title of the thread now is a fairer reflection, thank you. The petition is fairly poor still though and, as another poster has said, will be unlikely to hold much sway - the consultation is the key place to record comments - positive or negative.

Looking as an outsider, with no vested interest as I have no other children coming through - just a curious observer, whilst there are losers with all proposed changes, there is a lot of good intention in these proposals too and, for a vast swathe of Birmingham, there are potential GS children who will now have the opportunity to go to a school local to them, where they would not usually have had the chance. We all know from Bucks and Glos how daft it is to drive past one school on the way to another, when they are both GS.
I agree in principle that the schools should be more accessible to people.

However, like with most things, PP being an example, the system is open to abuse.

People will find a way round it and then the children that the system has been set up to help, will once again suffer.