KEHS full fee or Handsworth

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
quasimodo

Re: KEHS full fee or Handsworth

Post by quasimodo »

JaneEyre wrote:
crazycrofter wrote: Also, you could potentially find in future that one of your other children only has the KES/KEHS option and no grammar/decent comp so you might be wise to save your cash for that possibility.
+1

King Edward VI Handsworth School is an excellent school.
Both are excellent schools.

The correct advice is to go with KE Handsworth if its full fees and paying those fees will cause difficulty.In a period of 5 or 7 years circumstances can change placing even greater financial pressures.These could be caused in numerous ways e.g. a change in employment or ill health.It is not guaranteed any applications for financial assistance at the time at KEHS if they had the income would be successful.It is also likely your dd's will go to University and if you are on full fees now those costs will also be large.Save your money for the future and use it now to spend on items which add value to your lives e.g. holidays together.

There are many girls who have been to both schools I know and are leading varied lives in the world of work.You would be hard pressed working out which school they had attended. Going for the low cost option isn't denying your dd a quality,happy and fulfilling school option.Anything and everything is possible.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

quasimodo wrote: Both are excellent schools.
Thank you for correcting something that I have badly expressed, Quasi. :D Indeed both schools are excellent. :D
I was writing my post kwowing that many people think that Handsworth Girls is not as good as KHES because it is in a neighborhood not as nice as the surroundings of the University of Birmingham.
In both school what is important is the quality of the teaching delivered, the many clubs, the pastoral care, etc. :D
MSD

Post by MSD »

quasimodo wrote: The correct advice is to go with KE Handsworth if its full fees and paying those fees will cause difficulty.In a period of 5 or 7 years circumstances can change placing even greater financial pressures.These could be caused in numerous ways e.g. a change in employment or ill health.It is not guaranteed any applications for financial assistance at the time at KEHS if they had the income would be successful.It is also likely your dd's will go to University and if you are on full fees now those costs will also be large.Save your money for the future and use it now to spend on items which add value to your lives e.g. holidays together.
+ 1
Wise words as always Quasi!
CaroleMew

Post by CaroleMew »

Thanks so much for all of you sharing your thoughts and experiences.

It seems Handsworth is more realistic option. Her score is 232 and hopefully could be offered a place. My DD likes KEHS better after visiting both schools. Now it is a challenge for me to persuade her after the great joy.

Just feel the exam has not finished yet, and this time it's parents' turn, for both budget and decision...
Will be another sleepless night.
Sfaisal

Post by Sfaisal »

We are in the same boat. Just that we need to choose between wghs and full paying place at KEHS. With 220 she’d most probably be on the waiting list of Handsworth. Handsworth would have been my first choice as my dd liked that school. But she loved KEHS and wasn’t really happy with wghs. Wghs would be a sensible choice but really feel bad as she gets upset on hearing about wghs.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sfaisal wrote:We are in the same boat. Just that we need to choose between wghs and full paying place at KEHS. With 220 she’d most probably be on the waiting list of Handsworth. Handsworth would have been my first choice as my dd liked that school. But she loved KEHS and wasn’t really happy with wghs. Wghs would be a sensible choice but really feel bad as she gets upset on hearing about wghs.
Which one did you actually put as first preference on the CAF?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sfaisal

Post by Sfaisal »

KE Handsworth
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Sfaisal wrote:KE Handsworth
I hope it works out for you and your dd gets an offer from KE Handsworth.Your dd's viewpoint and how she feels is important.Distance and travel must be important considerations also.You are in a fortunate position with your choices.

While my eldest did not have a happy experience at KEHS for five years turning down KE Handsworth for a full fee place.Sometimes you wonder if it was part of the process of just growing up.It remains an excellent school.

Similarly with our youngest we chose WGHS with KE Handsworth coming a close second with SCGSG.We did not take the exam for KEHS.We can't fault WGHS and their pastoral support for our youngest has been second to none.Their are many things which make a good school above and beyond the academics.We are at the beginning of year 10 and no matter what the results of her GCSE's we know she will have had five wonderful years and have no plans to move her when we have QM boys on our doorstep for the sixth form.Relationships built over time go into making a great school.As parents if we get children happy to go to their school with a spring in their step every day for 7 years you can ask no more.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Sfaisal

Post by Sfaisal »

Thank you very much fir replying. I found that extremely helpful.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

CarolMew, how would you explain to the other two children that there is enough money to send their older sibling to an independent school but not enough to send them?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now