Camphill Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stse88

Re: Camphill Boys

Post by stse88 »

I attended the open morning for CHB this week and was really looking forward to it since it was my sons's top choice. Unfortuneately, it was just a tour with a sixth form student and we didn't get to meet or hear a 'sales' pitch from the headmaster. Luckily the libarian gave us an impromtu quick talk of the school which gave us more insight. Myself and my wife were asking quite a lot of questions and although answered well by the sixth form student, we just didn't get a good vibe/feel in comparison to Aston. We have only been to CHB, Aston and Handsworth boys open days and quite sure my son will do well in anyone, but Aston's open day gave me a good vibe and the 'Aston Man' ethos. Probably i was expecting too much from CHB based on its high reputations. Campus is very good with facilties and its in a very nice area. Yet Handsworth grammar has wow'd us with the new building and technology equipment they have for their students compared to CHB. Its going to be a tough dilaema this weekend but as mentioned, the pressure is have we made the right decisions for our kids and were the alternatives the right decisions?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Not every school suits every child - you got a positive vibe from Aston and that is really important - they are all good schools but the best school is the one that is the bext fit for your individual child - not necessarily the one that has the high reputation - that may be perfect for others but maybe not your son. I always think of it as that toy children have with shapes that fit in the various shaoed holes into the box - there is a perfect shaped hole for each shape - you can push the shapes into the box through another hole but it might be a struggle or not the perfect fit. Go for the perfect fit for your shape, your son. Choose it and move on - do not dwell on what ifs!
Manon

Post by Manon »

GBB, two years ago we were in exactly the same position of choosing between KES Stratford and CHB.

In the end, what made the decision for us was that the travel to CHB was easier and we hadn't actually visited KES and couldn't arrange a visit before the CAF had to be in.

DS is now in Y8 at CHB and loving it. He settled in really quickly - that had been a worry as when he started at his middle school (we are in Worcestershire with a 3 tier system) it took a good term and a half before he was anything like settled – to be honest, he never really did settle there. Add that to the fact that he didn't know anyone else already at CHB or who was starting with him and there was the potential for disaster but, although apprehensive the first morning, he came out that afternoon smiling and hasn't looked back.

As well as the induction day in July, they usually have a holiday camp the first week of the summer holidays for the boys starting Y7 the following September which was great for getting to know some of the other new starters, teachers and the school.

As for pastoral issues, we have not had any concerns and DS is very happy there. Whilst he was at his middle school, for a number of reasons, he went from being a child who loved school throughout his first school years, to being a child who was at best resigned to having to go. At CHB he's returned to being a child who loves school so I can't speak higher than that. During the first term, DS did mention to me something in connection with one of the lads in his form but it was dealt with very quickly and appropriately from what he said.

Homework has been fine – a lot more than he got at his middle school but then that wouldn’t have been difficult. He stays in the school library for an hour or so three times a week after school and with that and a couple of hours over the weekend, he’s usually cracked it.

There are differences between KES and CHB which might be important to you – the languages provision at CHB for example is pretty limited – the boys do either French or German in the first year and then pick the other up from Y8 and that’s it as far as languages are concerned whereas I think KES offer all sorts.

I do get the impression that CHB is a bit more ‘laid back’ than KES – for no real reason (and I stand to be corrected) other than I recall reading that boys at KES are ‘spoken to’ should their hair be too long whereas that doesn’t seem to be an issue at CHB looking at a couple of DS’ friends! And although I thought uniform dictated a black winter coat, in fact DS has preferred to wear his multi coloured ski jacket and that has been fine. Having said that, the school does expect high standards in terms of attention in class and to homework being done etc. And they seem to be very supportive if a pupil has struggled with a particular piece of homework for example. The other thing I have noticed is that the boys seem happy and willing to help each other – one of the boys in DS class is an absolute whizz at maths and has helped DS a couple of times when he’s been stuck.

Happy to try and help if you or your son have any other questions.

Manon
MSD

Post by MSD »

Manon wrote: Having said that, the school does expect high standards in terms of attention in class and to homework being done etc.
Oh, yes! I noticed that while scanning through DS's Autumn term report yesterday :) Certainly can't get away with not doing homework or not putting enough effort in.

They also have high expectations on attendance and time-keeping and will let parents know in no uncertain terms, if child falls behind.
Manon

Post by Manon »

Or if they forget to go to orchestra!!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Manon wrote:Or if they forget to go to orchestra!!
:lol: :lol:
The head of music is an amazing head of department, like so many other brilliant teachers!
Several pupils of CHB have pursued a career in music! :D
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

MSD wrote: I know some other posters like JaneEyre, Turtlegirl, Bob and Um who have children at this school and maybe able to shed further light.
I wish to shed further light on that at some point, MSD. I just hope to find the time for that this weekend! :wink:
GBB

Post by GBB »

Thank you everyone for your input.
I’m hoping by the positive posts re Camphill, there’s plenty of extra curricular activities eg drama etc encouraged. It’s not all academic?!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I have direct experience of Stratfords pastoral care and it is excellent - I have never heard negatives about CHB and, as MSD says, I am sure JaneEyre can give specifics.
Ongoing issues of behaviour exist in all schools. I have taught for a while at a GS in Birmingham (I will not say which one, except that it is not at CHB :D ) and I can tell you that some students there were far from being angels! Like in the time you were at school, there are all types of different profiles and that will be like that till the end of times: the studious ones, the funny ones, the talkative ones, the introverts, the very polite ones, the cheaters, the ones who disrupt the lessons, etc… I let you add other descriptions! :wink:

For the pastoral care, I never had any issues at CHB and each time I have contacted the school, the person contacted has been prompt to react (for your information, my DS is at the school for more than 5 years now).Some teachers are easier to talk to, but this is human nature: the teachers I feel well with will not be the teachers that you will feel well with as everyone is different and has different sensibilities and look for certain qualities in his/her interlocutor. :D

My DS is currently going through a very difficult patch of life due to an ordeal that I wish he had not to live through. Some staff at school have been informed by myself about the worrying situation and across the months, communication between us has strengthened to support him the best we can. Mr G., the headmaster, has had to raise my son’s issue with the chair governors who has also been extremely supportive. Furthermore, Mr G. has had to write several letters/mails in order to offer support to my DS, and he did this promptly, despite one of them requiring from him to do some research and to send a certain amount of time to write it.

Recently, I arrived extremely worried in Mr G.’s office who has swiftly done what he could do to support both my DS and myself (with him fetching my DS in the class where he was in at that moment!).
Earlier this week, the head of sixth form, a remarkable, very efficient and helpful teacher, has got in touch with me via email to get an appointment so that she could be updated about the situation: we had this meeting this Friday and I felt really comforted and supported after the meeting. She had a word later in the day to offer my DS advice (nothing to do with academics!).

Do you call this ‘bad pastoral care’? For me, it is excellent pastoral care, even beyond what I could have expected! :D :D
Last edited by JaneEyre on Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

GBB wrote: It’s not all academic?!
No, not at all, plenty of sport, plenty of music, plenty of drama, plenty of clubs!!!
I advise you to read the school letters and 'The chronicle' to have a better flavour of the school:

Newsletters: http://www.camphillboys.bham.sch.uk/news/newsletters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Chronicle: http://www.camphillboys.bham.sch.uk/abo ... chronicle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now