Has Pupil Premium ruined chance of gaining place at QMGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sleepless10

Re: Has Pupil Premium ruined chance of gaining place at QMGS

Post by Sleepless10 »

We are in the Walsall area and our second choice of school is Walsall Academy which we are 0.7 miles from and is our local school. This school has a slightly different admission process to your average comprehensive school. It is based on the score your child gets in a non verbal reasoning test and what band they fall into and distance you are from the school. To make matters worse there were rumours going about that if you don't put this school as your first choice you don't in. We primarily had your son tutored for this school and not QMGS. He sat the QMGS exam anyway not expecting to qualify but did and decided he really wanted to go. Unfortunately whilst his score would have just got him an offer first time last year it looks very unlikely it will this year. The lowest score to get in on a wait list last year was 333. I have now started to question the Walsall exam in comparison to the Birmingham one as I note a few people who sons sat both exams have all started the Walsall one was a lot easier in 2017 and also 2018. Could this have been responsible for the 13 point hike with more boys qualifying for QMGS and not some of the Birmingham Grammers?
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

The key word is 'rumours'
Walsall LA runs an equal preference system. If your son does not meet the score for QMGS they will move to the next choice. If your son qualifies/meets criteria for that school (as determined by the school/test) he will be allocated a place there. If not, they will move down the list.

One of my sons did score substantially higher in the Walsall test, but his brother scored around the same for the Birmingham/Walsall tests.

The Walsall paper seems to favour those who are 'stronger' in Maths whereas the Birmingham paper is weighted more towards English I believe (and there are some knowledgeable posters who can hopefully provide some credence to this) This tallies especially with my son at QMGS who loves Maths!

As for being easier, you will find many parents on here who experienced the reverse - higher marks for Birmingham, so I'm not aware of any evidence that the Walsall test is easier. Perhaps the other parents' sons are stronger in maths too?

At this stage you don't know that your son's chances are out of reach yet on 337. There could have been two extraordinary years.

My own theory is just a growing popularity for the school, given its location 'this side of town'. Not everybody can access the Birmingham grammars easily and QMGS serves a wide area.

It's too early to speculate on a score of 337, I feel, because it is so close.

Please try not to worry and don't listen to the rumours.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Sleepless looking at Walsall Academy they have a fair banding system, it isn't intended that you teach to the test, we have a number in our area and they actively discourage tutoring as it defeats the whole object of fair banding and getting a wide range of abilities. The purpose of the test is to see what band a child falls into and then admit a number of children across the bands. You can never second guess which band is going to be filled by the most students so it is pointless trying to improve a score with tutoring etc. What if the band that he ends up in is one with the least distance but without tutoring he would have ended up in the band below which went out further? It does sound like you are looking to make it more complicated and stressful than it needs to be.

I know school admissions can be stressful (been there a few years ago) but do try and relax, there is nothing that can be changed now and you will find out in a few weeks time. Fingers crossed that you get the result you want, if not there are waitlists and also the great appeals people on this site. Looking at the birth data it seems the big leap was for those entering secondary last year and whilst still upwards it wasn't so big for those entering this year so I hope that might help too.
Sleepless10

Post by Sleepless10 »

Thank you for those really useful replies. I do think I am probably over complicating and making the whole process more stressful than it perhaps needs to be. I have spent so much time perusing over past data, statistics and trying to second guess everything that I have lost sight of what really matters. I have a happy healthy child who will do well wherever he ends up!

Time to enjoy half term and what ever will be will be! Bring on March 1st!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Sleepless10 wrote:Thank you for those really useful replies. I do think I am probably over complicating and making the whole process more stressful than it perhaps needs to be. I have spent so much time perusing over past data, statistics and trying to second guess everything that I have lost sight of what really matters. I have a happy healthy child who will do well wherever he ends up!

Time to enjoy half term and what ever will be will be! Bring on March 1st!
I am glad to see you are being positive.

Your son has demonstrated with his performance in the QMGS exams that he is capable of success wherever he goes.

Your difficulty is your locality and the schools that are within your reach.I presume moving house into other areas in Walsall to catchment areas with better schools is out of the question ?

Rest assured many succeed in life even from poor schools where they have a supportive family putting effort into their children's education.I know many in my generation who did exactly that.

It is time to enjoy half term.The light is coming earlier in the mornings and the darkness later in the evenings.You used very wise words , "I have a happy healthy child who will do well wherever he ends up "
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Sleepless10 wrote:Can anybody help shed any light on the shock cut off score for admissions into QMGS 2018 and the rise of 13 points. I am so upset if this is because of Pupil Premium as we are a hard working class family and by no means the privalledged. My son scored 337 for the September 2019 admission and it looks extremely unlikely if not impossible for him to gain a place now as he is right on last years cut off score. On a score of 337 he would have walked it in the last 6 years and just got in September 2018. He desperately wants to go QMGS so me and my husband warily put it as his first choice potentially jeopardizing our chances of getting into our local comprehensive school. At first glance it seems that Pupil Premium has adversely affected his chances. Would this be correct or was 2018 a freak year for QMGS bearing in mind QMHS also introduced PP 2018 and was unaffected? I am trying to prepare my son for the inevitable and heartbreaking news and it makes it worse that a class mate who is Pupil Premium and scored 16 points lower than my son will gain a place. Nothing against PP but I am praying for miracle on March 1st and feel we have become a victim of the education and class system.

Sorry to hear your feeling unsure of first choice. I am sure it will work out in the end. All the best to your son.
Macmum

Post by Macmum »

Hi Sleepless10

I feel your agony as we were in this position last year. Our son scored 334, and initially, I was quietly confident that he'd secure a place on 1st March.

It wasn't meant to be on that day, he got offered a place at a local 'outstanding' comp. Although he was desperately disappointed, we continued to remind him of the positive things about his allocated school.

We remained on the waiting list for QMGS, and eventually got offered a place on 20th June! So he was 3 points off cut-off (non pp), and waited almost 4 months but DID get there in the end!! The trouble is, it just seems impossible to know what will happen year on year, so it's the anxiety of waiting & hoping!!

I 'think' our son is just about settled in Year 7 now. It is a big transistion no matter where they go. I don't know if it's taken him a bit longer than most, but they're all different aren't they? Anyway, as per Ricky74, if I can offer you any support/advice re QMGS, just let me know.

Good luck, and please, update us on 1st March!!

Macmum
Sleepless10

Post by Sleepless10 »

Thank you so much that it makes me feel so much better! Sounds like you were in exactly the same position last year as we are now. It's a very uncomfortable, nail biting position to be in but I am under no illusion now regarding on offer on 1st March and that if our son is lucky enough to get
a place it will most definitely be on a wait list. I will keep you posted on events but that has really helped.

Thank you!