Allocation & Waiting list movement March 2019 - scores only!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jay001

Re: Allocation & Waiting list movement March 2019 - scores o

Post by jay001 »

Hi

Just an update for the admin to keep this score etc updated

My son was just offered a place at HGS with a score of 211 yesterday, place has been declined, my son is having a fantastic start to the term and enjoying school life at Adams Grammar.
kruella

Post by kruella »

Bettyspaghetti wrote:Hi all, my son was offered a place at Five Ways yesterday. He was originally 95th on the waiting list back in March with a score of 230.

We are still deciding whether or not to accept as he is very happy and settled at Aston, but thought it would be helpful for people to know that there is still movement and there is likely to be more; he was still 9th at the end of the summer holidays, so there must have been quite a few no shows at the start of term
Congratulations Betty.
Am I right that min was 237 in 2019? My daughter had 214 this, I'm looking for a hope :-)
kruella

Post by kruella »

jay001 wrote:Hi

Just an update for the admin to keep this score etc updated

My son was just offered a place at HGS with a score of 211 yesterday, place has been declined, my son is having a fantastic start to the term and enjoying school life at Adams Grammar.
Hi Jay,

HGS is King Edward VI Handsworth Grammar School for Boys?
Min was 219, wasn't it?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Kruella - looks like the scores did go down a fair bit - he is a post from July :
brummydad19 wrote:Hi All, a quick note, we have received a letter from KE Handsworth Boys today offering a place to the DS with score 212, distance ~11000m from the school. Below are my follow ups with the FO.

27th Mar - 136
1st Apr - 119
9th Apr - 109
26th Apr - 83
13th May - 66
28th Jun - 24
17th Jul - 3
23rd Jul - 1
25th Jul - offered

Happy days!
kruella

Post by kruella »

Could I ask for advice please?
As I mentioned before, my daughter got 214 points this year. Min for KE school is 222.
Which school is she the most likely to eventually get a place with this score?
Sutton Coldfield, Camp Hill or Five Ways?
We wanted to move , so it doesn't matter for us, which catchment we will move into.
We both work in Bham city centre.
Thank you very much for your advice. I'm so confused I don't really know what to think.
Or you think chances are so low , that we shouldn't have any hope and don't put any of them on list?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

kruella wrote:Could I ask for advice please?
As I mentioned before, my daughter got 214 points this year. Min for KE school is 222.
Which school is she the most likely to eventually get a place with this score?
Sutton Coldfield, Camp Hill or Five Ways?
We wanted to move , so it doesn't matter for us, which catchment we will move into.
We both work in Bham city centre.
Thank you very much for your advice. I'm so confused I don't really know what to think.
Or you think chances are so low , that we shouldn't have any hope and don't put any of them on list?
Hi - the problem this year is that with a brand new system we don't know exactly how it will work out. It is quite different from previous years and the info on this thread is no indication of what will happen.
With 214 you are below the priority score (unless you have PP) which means that, as it stands with you also being out of catchment (is that correct - you would need to be in catchment by the time you submit the CAF, not something that can practically be done) it is going to be quite hard to get a place at CH or FW, though as I say - who knows it may be worth a go. Do you have other schools locally you are considering?

Have a look at the first post on here - it gives the current criteria for admission: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 11&t=58141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If you are out of catchment then I think your DD would be in Cat 5.
kruella

Post by kruella »

Thank you Hermanmunster. If it wasn't already hard enough!!:-))
We have 2 houses found in both catchments (five ways and camp hill)so we could try to sort the address out via solicitors by 31st Oct I guess. Looking at previews years I would like to give Five Ways a go.I heard there is always more boys than girls there.... We were thinking about Q3 or St Pauls Catholic School for Girls in Bham, which was voted best comprehensive school in Bham this year, so not a bad option I guess..
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

kruella wrote:Thank you Hermanmunster. If it wasn't already hard enough!!:-))
We have 2 houses found in both catchments (five ways and camp hill)so we could try to sort the address out via solicitors by 31st Oct I guess. Looking at previews years I would like to give Five Ways a go.I heard there is always more boys than girls there.... We were thinking about Q3 or St Pauls Catholic School for Girls in Bham, which was voted best comprehensive school in Bham this year, so not a bad option I guess..
Please don't count on the scores from previous years, they really give no insight as to what will happen this year! With a score of 214 you will be looking at Category 5 (where catchment is irrelevant ) which is likely to have very limited number of places and the key is that they will go to the very highest scores. If you are in Cat 5 then might as well stay where you are and apply from there
JML247

Post by JML247 »

Hi I hadn't appreciated that once you accepted a place at a grammar school that you remained on the waiting list for the others or is that just if you accepted a place at say your 3rd choice you remain on the waiting list for your 1st and 2nd?
mad?

Post by mad? »

JML247 wrote:Hi I hadn't appreciated that once you accepted a place at a grammar school that you remained on the waiting list for the others or is that just if you accepted a place at say your 3rd choice you remain on the waiting list for your 1st and 2nd?
It depends! I am not familiar with the system in Birmingham but elsewhere it varies hugely so do not assume you are kept on a waiting list. Elsewhere certainly not if you are allocated your first preference.
mad?