Pupil premium - no haters pls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
space

Pupil premium - no haters pls

Post by space »

I was entitled to pp in 2016 after divorce and child was in Y2. For 9 months I was not aware I could have applied for it. Now child has got a pass mark for a local grammar but not the priority score. It was the school's fault not to have registered me and my children as pupil premium? I still have all the income support paperwork regarding that period. Wonder if it is worth fighting for a pp appeal or if anyone can shed a light or have been through something similar. I did not tick the PP in the grammar application. Any positive + informative comments welcome.
ToadMum

Re: Pupil premium - no haters pls

Post by ToadMum »

space wrote:I was entitled to pp in 2016 after divorce and child was in Y2. For 9 months I was not aware I could have applied for it. Now child has got a pass mark for a local grammar but not the priority score. It was the school's fault not to have registered me and my children as pupil premium? I still have all the income support paperwork regarding that period. Wonder if it is worth fighting for a pp appeal or if anyone can shed a light or have been through something similar. I did not tick the PP in the grammar application. Any positive + informative comments welcome.
Are you saying that when you became eligible for the primary school to apply for Pupil Premium, you gave the school all the information they required, but the school did nothing about it? Or do you think that the primary school should have applied with no input from yourself?

What is the cut-off for supplying evidence to the secondary school?

What does it say in the admissions policy about those who in error omitted to tell the Foundation that their DC was eligible at time of registration, or whose DC have become eligible since registration? (The most recent statement, posted on the forum, says that the Foundation expects the number of 'PP' DC to go down, due to parents having ticked the box accidentally etc).

Your claim for your DC to be 'PP' normally has to be confirmed by the current primary school.
Last edited by ToadMum on Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
space

Post by space »

I was unaware I had to provide anything for school to add child to PP list. So he has never been on any list and I can t put down PP in the application as school will say child was never registered.
I wonder if someone has been in a similar situation and made an appeal.
The grammar school has said if pupil hasnt been registered on PP and didnt score above 222 there isnt a chance.
I think its unfair as I was entitled and did not know there was an extra application to be done, as child got free food is school anyway on Y2 and I was battling through a divorce.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Most state schools I've known have actively asked parents whether there is a possibility that their DC could be entitled to FSM and if they are unsure, to fill in the forms anyway.

How would you have expected the primary school to know that your DC was entitled, without checking? Just being the child of divorced / divorcing parents isn't sufficient in itself.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
space

Post by space »

thank you
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ToadMum wrote:Most state schools I've known have actively asked parents whether there is a possibility that their DC could be entitled to FSM and if they are unsure, to fill in the forms anyway.

How would you have expected the primary school to know that your DC was entitled, without checking? Just being the child of divorced / divorcing parents isn't sufficient in itself.
Thinking about we had to complete a form at the beginning of every year at senior school - usual contact details / medical etc and also questions which must have been to do with PP - including military etc. School were extremely keen that these were completed.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Ditto us, hermanmunster, as schools get extra funding for PP. unfortunately OP the onus is on you to tell School either by the contact form they ask you to fill each year, or physically by speaking to the head. There will also have been reminders when you were applying for the test - simply by asking you to tick a box if you were eligible would give you a nudge that you might be. I suspect you will have missed the boat on that.

I also think you need to be clear which address you are applying from - obviously Birmingham now have catchments so without a Birmingham address you will have very little chance of a place (notwithstanding not having the qualifying score). Which means you would be applying as OOC for Glos - and have to move, and find a job before next September - which could be super stressful. If you do decide to apply to Birmingham and appeal, make sure you have a robust other school choice in Birmingham - appeals in Birmingham rarely win but, you do have to apply to be rejected to be allowed to appeal.
space

Post by space »

Thank you.
I am based in the catchment for five ways but didnt get the priority score.
Have lived in Gloucester until 2015 so applied there to. Put five ways as first but wanted to know if people have had similar experiences. Child's ranks were more positive for Gloucestershire grammars, but the rellocation would be a hassle, specially knowing regarding PP here, he could have got a place. Will have to wait for March but any info on appealing on theses basis please share :)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

space wrote:Thank you.
I am based in the catchment for five ways but didnt get the priority score.
Have lived in Gloucester until 2015 so applied there to. Put five ways as first but wanted to know if people have had similar experiences. Child's ranks were more positive for Gloucestershire grammars, but the rellocation would be a hassle, specially knowing regarding PP here, he could have got a place. Will have to wait for March but any info on appealing on theses basis please share :)
Well, that way round, you should get one of your Gloucestershire preferences, be on the waiting list for the Birmingham grammar and also have the right of appeal for that one.

My guess would be that you will still be looking at moving to Gloucester for the autumn term , which leaves the issue of whether your appeal will be over and done with before you have to have applied for NQT posts.
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

The onus for applying for FSM and therefore PP is on the parent, not the school. I work in a school office and there is absolutely no way of applying for it on somebody else’s behalf. We have quite a few families who are eligible but all we can do is show them how to apply we can’t do it for them, it is a shame as the school does extra for the pupils who are PP (using the extra funds they are eligible for).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now