Why have the cut offs jumped so much?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Inner Chimp

Why have the cut offs jumped so much?

Post by Inner Chimp »

From what I can see the cut off scores have jumped massively for all the schools any ideas why this has happened? Was the test an easier one? Has out reach programmes run by the schools made a difference?
kenyancowgirl

Re: Why have the cut offs jumped so much?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I haven't time to trawl back and find it but back when the results came out I predicted a 5 point increase in the AQS. I suspect this is one Beason Birmingham are desparate to introduce catchments - people are bussing in to take the test who may well be preparing for QE type schools so are purely academic but to hear of a 250 score not getting a place must be very difficult for the parents/child who will have been assured by everyone they met back in October that their son was a definite...which is why I say time and time again, NEVER tell anyone on here they are a definite or "sure of a place" from teh waiting list. Nothing is sure.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Inner Chimp wrote:From what I can see the cut off scores have jumped massively for all the schools any ideas why this has happened? Was the test an easier one? Has out reach programmes run by the schools made a difference?
The test can’t be easier or harder if it is standardised. There may have been a lot more taking it this year?
SVK

Post by SVK »

Record number of candidates taking the test this year. I wish the catchment area proposal had started sooner.
Knitfaststaywarm

Post by Knitfaststaywarm »

I am utterly gobsmacked at the rises - have the grammars put the official cut offs up yet?

I can't believe some of figures not - 250 a no for CHB :shock: .

My heart goes out to anyone who thought they were comfortable - let's hope the waiting lists move lots and quickly.

Please,please if you're holding onto an offer you don't intend to take - put some poor family out if their misery and let it go.
AK loving Dad

Post by AK loving Dad »

I wonder if they have decided not to offer over the number of places available (PAN) at all and let the waiting lists do their work?
lakings1900

Post by lakings1900 »

A record number of kids sat the exam this year, I'm assuming this is entirely due to the start of the baby boom wave 11 years ago. The LEA know the numbers and I would not be surprised if this is why catchments change next year.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Inner Chimp wrote:From what I can see the cut off scores have jumped massively for all the schools any ideas why this has happened? Was the test an easier one? Has out reach programmes run by the schools made a difference?

Apparently this year had the highest sitters and this must of driven up the cut-off scores. I thought 2-3 point it would go up. Was not expecting this sort of increase. I wonder how it will pan out from the waiting list. At least this sort of mayhem will end with this cohort.
Moonsun

Post by Moonsun »

Can someone put up the cutoffs and compare with last years?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Here are the known cut offs for 2019 and info from 2018:

CHB 249
CHG 238
FW. 237

2018 (brackets is pp)
KE CH Boys: 242 (229) - up by 2 points
KE CH Girls: 236 (219) - up by 1 point
KE Five Ways: 232 (207) - down by 1 point
KE Handsworth (Girls): 224 (209) - up by 2 points
Bishop Vesey: 222 (204) - up by 2 points
KE Aston: 220 (205) - down by 2 points