311 score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Pari20

311 score

Post by Pari20 »

I am novice to all this system so need some suggestions. My daughter got 311 score and my preferences are as follows for grammar school :
Wolverhampton high school for girls
Newport high school for girls
Queen mary's high school

We are out of catchment area. Is there any chance for admission in these schools or is better to move
Near these areas.
helen0209

Re: 311 score

Post by helen0209 »

Pari20 wrote:I am novice to all this system so need some suggestions. My daughter got 311 score and my preferences are as follows for grammar school :
Queen mary's high school

We are out of catchment area. Is there any chance for admission in these schools or is better to move
Near these areas.
Looking at previous posts, it doesn’t look like 311 would be enough for WHSG or QMHS, and I don’t believe either have catchment areas. Newport does have a catchment, and if you look at the thread about Newport scores 311 OOA is unlikely to secure a place as well.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

helen0209 wrote:
Pari20 wrote:I am novice to all this system so need some suggestions. My daughter got 311 score and my preferences are as follows for grammar school :
Queen mary's high school

Near these areas.
Looking at previous posts, it doesn’t look like 311 would be enough for WHSG or QMHS, and I don’t believe either have catchment areas. Newport does have a catchment, and if you look at the thread about Newport scores 311 OOA is unlikely to secure a place as well.
Apologies helen0209 I beg to differ slightly on QMHS.I think there remains a possibilty of a place at the school.Looking at the last two years cut offs for non pp places the cut off was 320 on offers day and 314 from the waiting lists for the last place offered.Last year was the first year pp places were introduced and so there were fewer non pp places.This year there are 30 extra non pp places.No one knows how things would pan out but I would encourage anyone in the low 300's to put the school as a choice and see what happens.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
nervousdad1

Post by nervousdad1 »

318 was the score for the OOA for Newport girls I think you may strike lucky on the waiting list for WHGS however cut off for PP is 311 this year and max limit is 20 spaces accorded to the heads talk last night
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

nervousdad1 wrote:318 was the score for the OOA for Newport girls I think you may strike lucky on the waiting list for WHGS however cut off for PP is 311 this year and max limit is 20 spaces accorded to the heads talk last night
The pp score is a qualifying score below which a pp candidate cannot be offered a place.The expectation must be that the school feels they will be able to complete their complement of 20 places above or at that qualifying score.

When pp was introduced by the King Edwards schools in 2013 both KE Handsworth and KE Camp Hill for girls did not complete their full complement and those extra places were added to the non pp places.In the boys schools there were no difficulties in completing the allocated places.Each school had set its own qualifying score.Since then the allocations have always been fully completed at each of the schools.

There were no difficulties either at QMHS AND QMGS when they introduced pp last year.What is clear there are substantial differences between the pp qualifying scores and the eventual non pp qualifying cut offs.

http://www.birminghamgrammarschools.org ... and-offers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe last years non pp cut offs at QMGS and QMHS were 333 and 314 and their pp qualifying scores were 305 and 300.Please correct me if any are wrong.

As a result the only thing it may be fair to assume is that the WGHS non pp cut off will be above 311.Where it will be is just guesswork.

While WGHS are losing 20 (non pp) places there are an extra 30 non pp places at QMHS so there are an extra 10 places in the consortium between the two schools.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

quasimodo wrote:
helen0209 wrote:
Queen mary's high school

Near these areas.
Apologies helen0209 I beg to differ slightly on QMHS.I think there remains a possibilty of a place at the school.Looking at the last two years cut offs for non pp places the cut off was 320 on offers day and 314 from the waiting lists for the last place offered.Last year was the first year pp places were introduced and so there were fewer non pp places.This year there are 30 extra non pp places.No one knows how things would pan out but I would encourage anyone in the low 300's to put the school as a choice and see what happens.
You know the schools over that way far better than me, so happy to be corrected :D
Pari20

Post by Pari20 »

Thanks everyone for reply but now I am getting confused about preferences.should I change my preferences or not? I know chances are very less to get admission as we are 30 miles away from these schools. Distance can affect the admission process or not. Don't know that

Let's see what happen...
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Pari20 wrote:Thanks everyone for reply but now I am getting confused about preferences.should I change my preferences or not? I know chances are very less to get admission as we are 30 miles away from these schools. Distance can affect the admission process or not. Don't know that

Let's see what happen...
If you don't mind me asking in which area do you live ? How are you planning to send your dd to school if she gets a place ? How many schools can you choose on your CAF ? What is your alternative to the Grammars ?

Abraham Lincoln
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Pari20 wrote:Thanks everyone for reply but now I am getting confused about preferences.should I change my preferences or not? I know chances are very less to get admission as we are 30 miles away from these schools. Distance can affect the admission process or not. Don't know that

Let's see what happen...
If the schools admit on score rather than distance then the fact that you live 30 miles away won't be relevant. (I haven't looked up the admissions policies of the schools in question but I presume you have.)

More relevant is how your child is going to make this 60 mile round trip every day for five years. Fine if you're planning to move - not if not.
Pari20

Post by Pari20 »

Anyways we are moving that side as my husband works near by but we are going to move from year 7 in Wolverhampton.