AGS Cut Off Score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tonysingh123

Re: AGS Cut Off Score

Post by Tonysingh123 »

wolvsparent wrote:Adams don’t have PP places but have an “in catchment” and “out of catchment” area.

Someone has posted a few times that 330 OOA did not get offered. The presumption is that within catchment, or boarding, get offered a place if the qualifying score is reached (300).

The headmaster stated that 50 in catchment places would be offered this year, many more than ever, which would push up the OOA score considerably.

My son scored 305, so we did not expect an offer, but we received a letter stating he could be considered for a boarding place if we wanted one.
Hi,

I have just spoken to admissions at the School. The School do give priority to local catchment, Children in Care, then Pupil Premium. OOA come 4th in the list.

It would be difficult to work out lowest cut off with the above criteria.
wolvsparent

Post by wolvsparent »

Jay001 our offered school is Highfields. I wish you luck with the appeal, a significant amount of my son’s year did not get a place (the primary used to be a feeder for Highfield’s) and a lot of parents say they will appeal too. The boundary of last child in last year went down to 1.09 miles, so we were really nervous!
nervousdad1

Post by nervousdad1 »

My friends son got in OOA he scored 386
Inspector General

Post by Inspector General »

Tonysingh123 wrote:
wolvsparent wrote:Adams don’t have PP places but have an “in catchment” and “out of catchment” area.

Someone has posted a few times that 330 OOA did not get offered. The presumption is that within catchment, or boarding, get offered a place if the qualifying score is reached (300).

The headmaster stated that 50 in catchment places would be offered this year, many more than ever, which would push up the OOA score considerably.

My son scored 305, so we did not expect an offer, but we received a letter stating he could be considered for a boarding place if we wanted one.
Hi,

I have just spoken to admissions at the School. The School do give priority to local catchment, Children in Care, then Pupil Premium. OOA come 4th in the list.

It would be difficult to work out lowest cut off with the above criteria.
With respect it would not be difficult at all! All boys sit the test but there is essentially a 'pass mark' for: (1) 'looked after children'; (2) PP and (3) Newport Attendance Area. This is likely to vary between 300 and say 305.

After that, the majority of day places are left for OOA and are allocated on a rank order. The last place offered on that rank order is the cut off score that most people will be interested in and should easy enough for the school to identify and, in theory, for others to find out on fora like this.

The admissions policy is here: https://www.adamsgs.uk/userfiles/agsmvc ... 020%20.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
kathb

Post by kathb »

jay001 wrote:
wolvsparent wrote:Unfortunately jay001 we really have no idea.

If you look through previous years threads, there is never more than a couple of people posting scores for AGS. From this year we now have OFFERED at 346, NOT OFFERED at 330. Hopefully the start of the offers thread will be changed.

Previously though, 330 had received an offer (the year my oldest gained a place a poster turned down 330 for a Thomas Telford place). With ever more local boys getting through on what we assume is scores over 300 and proposals to increase the catchment to Telford in the future, the likelihood is that the cutoff for OOA boys will increase dramatically. Wolverhampton boys will start to be in the minority, which does make me worry slightly about the bus, especially going through to sixth form (currently Yr9).

You could phone and ask the school what the cutoff is, although AGS is very secretive of scores and has only begrudgingly allowed the score to be sent to parents this year due to GDPR.

We were always unsure as to where DS2 would fit in (very different in character to older brother) and so the inevitable rejection of a place was less gutting. We are fortunate to live approx 1 mile from one of the best comps in Wolves and which possibly has more applicants than AGS so was still worried! He seems very happy about this school place. Ultimately this is what counts.

Wish you all the luck jay001 with your journey. Which comps did you put on your CAF?
Hi

We have been placed on a waiting list for highfields which was fourth on our list. But we have been given a place to comp which was not even our list, which is not an option for us so will have to go via the appeal process.
Have you found out where you are on the waiting list for Highfields? I know people who have.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

jay001 wrote:

If you look through previous years threads, there is never more than a couple of people posting scores for AGS. From this year we now have OFFERED at 346, NOT OFFERED at 330. Hopefully the start of the offers thread will be changed.

Previously though, 330 had received an offer (the year my oldest gained a place a poster turned down 330 for a Thomas Telford place). With ever more local boys getting through on what we assume is scores over 300 and proposals to increase the catchment to Telford in the future, the likelihood is that the cutoff for OOA boys will increase dramatically. Wolverhampton boys will start to be in the minority, which does make me worry slightly about the bus, especially going through to sixth form (currently Yr9).

You could phone and ask the school what the cutoff is, although AGS is very secretive of scores and has only begrudgingly allowed the score to be sent to parents this year due to GDPR.

We were always unsure as to where DS2 would fit in (very different in character to older brother) and so the inevitable rejection of a place was less gutting. We are fortunate to live approx 1 mile from one of the best comps in Wolves and which possibly has more applicants than AGS so was still worried! He seems very happy about this school place. Ultimately this is what counts.

Wish you all the luck jay001 with your journey. Which comps did you put on your CAF?
Hi

We have been placed on a waiting list for highfields which was fourth on our list. But we have been given a place to comp which was not even our list, which is not an option for us so will have to go via the appeal process.
Whatever you feel about the comp, I would advise you accept the place - if you reject it, the LEA has absolutely no obligation to make you another offer as they have fulfilled their obligation with this offer. They could not offer you a place at any of the schools you listed as a preference on your CAF so have made you an offer at the next nearest school that has spaces. By accepting the place, you will still remain on the waiting list for any school that you listed higher on the CAF, where you meet the entry criteria, and you can still appeal.
jay001

Post by jay001 »

kathb wrote:
jay001 wrote:

Hi

Have you found out where you are on the waiting list for Highfields? I know people who have.

Hiya,

Yes i found out yesterday and we are way way low down on the list due to us not being in the catchment area of highfields :(
kathb

Post by kathb »

If your son is YR9 now (as is mine) their year I know an OOA boy who was given a place on offer day with a score of 325.
kathb

Post by kathb »

Admissions have just called me in responds to an email and I have been told my son who has a score of 319 will not get offered a place as there are 90 boys on the waiting list, he is in the middle and there will not be enough movement.

It shows how high the OOA scores have jumped this year as 3 years ago OOA 335 and 325 got in on offer day.
wolvsparent

Post by wolvsparent »

Hi Kathb, yes DD1 is Yr9. From anecdotal evidence, I had assumed cutoff on previous years was around the 325 mark, which is why we had already prepared DD2 for the inevitable rejection. I think in the last few months he’d even started to prefer the second choice, so took the news very well.

If the catchment is extended (I know the funding was not successful for the proposed change in catchment to Telford) and I am sure they will do this, as the Wolverhampton children do seem to be resented for taking “local” places, I can’t see the three buses from Wolves carrying on. It will take several years for this to filter up, but sixth form may be interesting!

Is your offered school place one you were happy with? There seem to be so many people not get any of their choices, not just first choice, this year. Many parents last Friday were quite emotional and unhappy at the school gates. It’s such a lottery. :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now