Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:53 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:02 pm
Posts: 2
Hello there,
My son had 222 and 331 respectively for both Birmingham & Walsall examinations. He had been offered HGS, our second choice. We live in bearwood, so it is a perfect option transportwise. In addition,four other pupils from his school had been offered thesame HGS. I am just wondering if there is any parent on this platform with DS in HGS who will be willing to give information about what is needed i.e. ahead of resumption and necessary things to prepare him.
Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:15 pm
Posts: 20
yet another parent seeking parent for HGS...

Btw..we have booked for an appointment to visit the school on Friday March 8th... please do join if possible...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 am
Posts: 738
You will find a number of us on here with DS’s at HGS. I have one in Y9 and one in Y7 and am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Congratulations on the offer btw


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:42 pm
Posts: 139
Another HGS parent here, though newer to it than helen. More than happy to answer any questions, but first and foremost you must visit the school.

I was in your position last year, seeking advice on HGS as our second choice, which we were offered. Helen has been a wealth of information for us, you will find excellent advice on here.

As for preparation, I think it’s time to breathe out a little before SATs prep gets into full swing.

Feel free to ask any questions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 am
Posts: 738
cbebala wrote:
yet another parent seeking parent for HGS...

Btw..we have booked for an appointment to visit the school on Friday March 8th... please do join if possible...


Enjoy your visit. However, with 224 don’t give up hope on your other choices. Where do you live, which is easier to get to?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 am
Posts: 738
Lategate wrote:
Another HGS parent here, though newer to it than helen. More than happy to answer any questions, but first and foremost you must visit the school.

I was in your position last year, seeking advice on HGS as our second choice, which we were offered. Helen has been a wealth of information for us, you will find excellent advice on here.

As for preparation, I think it’s time to breathe out a little before SATs prep gets into full swing.

Feel free to ask any questions!


Glad he’s settled in well - may still get to meet you in passing at Parent’s Evening!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:09 pm
Posts: 170
My DS is currently in year 7. He loves it. I echo what's already been said. Go and visit the school.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:15 pm
Posts: 20
helen0209 wrote:
cbebala wrote:
yet another parent seeking parent for HGS...

Btw..we have booked for an appointment to visit the school on Friday March 8th... please do join if possible...


Enjoy your visit. However, with 224 don’t give up hope on your other choices. Where do you live, which is easier to get to?


Thank you @Helen @Lategate

we are based out of Stafford, but planning to relocate to birmingham.. we are going through the school comparison guides back and forth , may be we will get more clarity once we visit the school and meet the head teacher...

Meanwhile keeping our hopes high for BV which was our first choice... He might get KEA pretty soon but thinking on sticking on to handsworth .. any opinions on that please?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:17 am
Posts: 738
They are all great schools and it is a personal preference / choice. I’m assuming you put KEA above HGS on your CAF for a reason?

Although KEA is closer to us we did prefer HGS. DS2 felt that KEA was too small, but did like the fact they did photography and athletics. Neither have the sports fields on site, the boys are bussed to them for games. Think KEA has slightly better exam results, but HGS takes more PP and historically lower scoring boys.

Although neither are in the best locations, we felt he was safer walking down the Soho Road to catch a bus rather than through a park. However, plenty walk through the park to the station / bus from KEA.

Having DS1 already at HGS meant that we had an inside view, so knew how nurturing the school is. That’s not to say that KEA isn’t, but we have no experience of it.

As you say, visit them both, decide where you are going to live and which is going to be easy to get to. DS2 didn’t like BV as they didn’t do German or Football, but again a great school.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:47 pm
Posts: 3825
cbebala wrote:
helen0209 wrote:
cbebala wrote:
yet another parent seeking parent for HGS...

Btw..we have booked for an appointment to visit the school on Friday March 8th... please do join if possible...


Enjoy your visit. However, with 224 don’t give up hope on your other choices. Where do you live, which is easier to get to?


Thank you @Helen @Lategate

we are based out of Stafford, but planning to relocate to birmingham.. we are going through the school comparison guides back and forth , may be we will get more clarity once we visit the school and meet the head teacher...

Meanwhile keeping our hopes high for BV which was our first choice... He might get KEA pretty soon but thinking on sticking on to handsworth .. any opinions on that please?
Crossed with previous post with which I concur.

If you get a choice go for the one you and your son like the most.There is not much to choose between them.Think also of travel how your son would get to the school from the areas you might be thinking of relocating.Make an appointment go and see KEHSB and if you get an offer from Aston do the same there.

_________________
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2020