2020 entry and query about living within catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
smile123

2020 entry and query about living within catchment

Post by smile123 »

Hi. Does anyone live on the edge of the camp Hill catchment and are not pp. Areas such as Highgate small heath South Yardley Acocks green and Hall Green North. If so are you thinking of moving closer to camp Hill.. Are you concerned that even if your child gets the priority score that because you live far away from the school your child might not get a place. Thanks for your thoughts.
UmSusu

Re: 2020 entry and query about living within catchment

Post by UmSusu »

Hi, I don’t live on the periphery but I don’t think you should worry too much at this stage. I think they would have considered that before they drew up the boundaries for the catchments - otherwise they will have an ongoing issue of people from certain areas on the periphery qualifying but having to then compete as out-of-catchment places for other schools based on scores.
UmSusu
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

We live a mile out of the current catchment for our closest one. We have thought about moving closer because our eldest will be starting this September but the issue we have then is the local none grammar should out next child not make the qualifying score. I don't think this is a risk we are willing to take.
DMC1

Post by DMC1 »

they know already what the scores are in the people living in each catchment area - when they say if you score 220 and live in a catchment area you are highly likely to get in they must have a pretty good idea what that means from analysing the results over the years
Cecilcaterpillar

Post by Cecilcaterpillar »

I would have thought that they would put up the qualifying score before they get to this situation. This would ensure that all within catchment will have a place. Based on the increases from this year I can quite easily see the score moving from their notional 220
dette1510

Post by dette1510 »

We are in Hall Green south, the very edge of the border next to Shirley. 3 miles from the school as the crow flies. Absolutely no intention of moving. I believe anyone in the catchment area has a very high chance of getting a place. I also believe there will still be places left for those outside the catchment. The scaremongering used during the proposals regarding parents moving closer and house prices/rents going up is a little silly. I don't think we need to worry but all the uncertainty doesn't help.
KenR

Post by KenR »

smile123 wrote:Hi. Does anyone live on the edge of the camp Hill catchment and are not pp. Areas such as Highgate small heath South Yardley Acocks green and Hall Green North. If so are you thinking of moving closer to camp Hill.. Are you concerned that even if your child gets the priority score that because you live far away from the school your child might not get a place. Thanks for your thoughts.
As I understand it, if you live in catchment and get the priority score you will get in. I believe they intend to reserve a few places for those living outside catchment (Category 5) so Category 4 (Catchment non PP and qualifying score) will get in. The problem will be for parents living in the catchment for another KE grammar; they probably wont get in to KECHB unless they have a very high score (circa 260+) and will have to go to their designated "local catchment" KE Grammar.