Catchment for Walsall grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

parent8

Catchment for Walsall grammars

Post by parent8 »

Now that Birmingham grammars have introduced catchment area from 2020; for children in Walsall and Wolverhampton competition for places are likely sky high. ( link https://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk ... osal-2020/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Those who pay Council tax in Walsall and Wolverhampton are at disadvantage, as these schools do not consider catchment areas.

I would like to propose to Walsall council to consider catchment area as well; but do not know how to go about.
Anyone with inside info how to go about convincing Walsall council ??? Where to start from ??
Thanks
thirdtimemum

Re: Catchment for Walsall grammars

Post by thirdtimemum »

Hi, welcome to the forum.
I understand where you are coming from and can see why you would want to do this. I don't think it will be long before it is introduced anyway.
My biggest concern is that this means that Sandwell kids will miss out there too. I don't know why all schools can't have a distance catchment. Local schools for local kids which is what is needed. The amount of children that I have heard of this year of not getting into their local school is unbelievable. I live on the boundary of 3 local authorities. The local Walsall schools have feeder schools so make it very difficult to get into those, Birmingham now have catchments with their grammars and I'm hearing that children are not getting into their local Sandwell school when they live less than a mile away. The whole system needs looking at.
Whilst a new Walsall catchment won't affect me, luckily our youngest is doing his test this September, I really feel how all of these catchments will impact on kids of the future.