Camp Hill Girls schools uniform

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Cecilcaterpillar

Re: Camp Hill Girls schools uniform

Post by Cecilcaterpillar »

hi. The school does have a second hand sale at several points including the initial welcome meeting and then the parents meeting once they have started in September. There is also one at the parents evening coming up in a couple of weeks. It is fairly well stocked especially if you went early enough. we went to the uniform shop prior to try on everything and get sizes and bought a few items, then looked at the second hand stuff. Most items are available but I think we had to buy the skirt from the uniform shop but as long as you're happy with second hand you can pick up most there. We even bought a blazer found it was too small with the jumper underneath and they changed it at the next event for free. If you are able to wash items during the week, I would suggest the minimum and then add as you need to.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Nereida wrote:No, please don't get me wrong, I don't want to complain or get into any disputes with the school. Of course, we'll buy whatever is necessary. The school is too good to argue about its policies. I'm just trying to see if there is any way to save a bit of money which can be better spent elsewhere.

Emailed the school about second-hand sales, will see what they'll respond.
Sightly off topic but I'm afraid no school is too good to argue about their policies!!! Every school should be revisiting their policies frequently - and every school should be welcoming constructive criticism from parents - things change - the world changes and any school, no matter how good you think it is, makes mistakes - it is how they deal with this that marks them as good or not.
OldTrout

Post by OldTrout »

Nereida wrote:Sorry if it's a wrong place to post.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy school logos separately and sew them onto the uniform?
In particular, that's for Camp Hill Girls. Their uniform list specifies everything with the logo from only two approved suppliers. Will cost hundreds of pounds. Can I get logos from somewhere and use standard uniform from supermarkets (will try to find the closest looking items), or am I running into trouble?

Title edited for clarity - moderator
Hi Nereida:

My small fry is at CHG - now Year 9.

I think most people have answered this - but yes Camp Hill are official uniform only and no sewing of logos (although I've been tempted).

Kenyacowgirl is spot on - there are 2nd hand sales - they're several times a year at various parent meetings and the new Y7 intake welcome meeting.

My advice - if you buy 'new' from Clive Marks - is they tend to sell things at precisely the size your child is that day leaving very little growing room. So take the time (no matter how busy the shop is) - to really make sure there is some growing room (two fingers at waist & skirts or trousers on the long side). Skirts particularly - because they have an A-Line yoke waist narrower than hips - which means that the skirt ends up becoming a mini skirt by Year 9 as your child grow up and possibly out.

If your child is like my small fry - who is something of a bean pole and growing as fast - the skirts get short very swiftly.

Over the years, we have made friends with older girls - and they have kindly handed down clothes as well.

Hope that helps.

OT

PS - Not completely sure about the 'base layer' for PE - it's optional - depends on whether your daughter feels the cold. It seems that Camp Hill does send them outside in all weathers - so the tracksuit is worth it. Invest in a pack of white socks (they don't have to be from Clive Marks) and be sure to pack a few spares. The PE teachers are big on the wearing of white socks.

Don't forget a towel and goggles (if needed) for PE. A few girls had the swimsuit but no towels for that first lesson.

P.P.S. Be sure your DD has her full PE kit with her to start Day 1 - I stress this because it can be a surprise if you have swimming for the first PE lesson.
Cecilcaterpillar

Post by Cecilcaterpillar »

regarding PE kit, my DD wears her top and skort with tracksuit top, she never feels the cold but the tracksuit has been useful when she lost her skort. I bought a base layer at the secondhand shop (£4) not sure it's ever been worn. The swimsuit needs to be plain black, we had one with purple piping down the side and she got picked up on it, she'll need a plainish black hat too. The football boots weren't worn until the spring term by which time she'd grown another size so they got worn once. Shin pads and mouthguard not worn yet. They seem to do a lot of netball and fitness to start with with swimming every half term, bit of handball but no hockey yet.
apillow

Post by apillow »

My daughter often wears a skirt with out a logo, which I bought from Asda for s fiver. No one noticed yet. And please do not buy football/hockey shoes in year 7. They might only need it towards the third term.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now