KE Aston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bigupash

KE Aston

Post by bigupash »

Hi,

my DS is currently 5th on the WL for Aston with 221. We live in Solihull and although the local comprehensive is good, I think he will benefit from going to a grammar school; as he is extremely sporty and plays rugby, cricket, football etc, plus academically he will be pushed more....

Unfortunately, we have not visited KE Aston and what I request is feedback from parents (new/existing) on reasons what makes Aston a great school, including Green bus etc?

One of the reasons that is putting him off is the area and issues surrounding that, should this really be a concern?

Appreciate anyone's time in their valuable feedback.

Thanks
helen0209

Re: KE Aston

Post by helen0209 »

Hi

I would urge you to make an appointment and visit the school - would you consider a job somewhere for the next 5 years if you’d never been to the office / site?

The Green Bus drops / collects right outside the school and is very convenient although expensive. It can mean early starts and late home as Solihull would be one of the furthest stops. It is an ideal way to meet fellow students and make friends though. However, make sure you have alternatives to get home in case he wants to do after school clubs.

There are many boys who walk to the railway station and other bus stops in the vicinity, but may be better walking in a small group rather than on their own.

I can’t really tell you anything about the teaching as both mine are at HGS, but all the GS are good schools in terms of results (as you’d expect). Sure there will be someone along soon who has a DS there.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I would agree with helen - you really do need to visit the school. Worth considering all the extra travelling time (and you may have to collect etc if there are after school sports ) compared with the travelling time for the local school, where he may be able to do more sport.

Many of the comprehensives in Solihull get very good results and you must bear in mind that the results achieved at any school will be dependent largely on the intake - which school have you been offered?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm not sure Aston is especially strong in the sports field....? Usually people express a preference for their child to be educated at a grammar school because of the academics first and foremost - unusual to state sports and then academia - I would check out actually how strong the sports are (as I don't remember Aston being particularly strong) - compared with your local comprehensive - if that is importnat. Remember that additional travel time with Aston could be used for additional sports at the local comp!
Bettyspaghetti

Post by Bettyspaghetti »

My son will be starting at Aston in September; we also live in Solihull and it is the sports, particularly rugby, that has attracted us to the grammar schools. I have had a few concerns about the area, particularly if he is playing rugby after school and the Green bus is not an option. However I have reasoned that he will not be the only boy in this situation and worst case scenario we will collect him! It is an excellent school that churns out a very high calibre of young man. Please go and visit the school if you are considering it for your son! Which of the grammars have you visited?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Bettyspaghetti wrote:My son will be starting at Aston in September; we also live in Solihull and it is the sports, particularly rugby, that has attracted us to the grammar schools. I have had a few concerns about the area, particularly if he is playing rugby after school and the Green bus is not an option. However I have reasoned that he will not be the only boy in this situation and worst case scenario we will collect him! It is an excellent school that churns out a very high calibre of young man. Please go and visit the school if you are considering it for your son! Which of the grammars have you visited?

Sounds like there may be others to travel back with - always helps !
bigupash

Post by bigupash »

Thanks all for the valuable input so far. We have arranged a visit, so we will see what DS/we feel after that. We have visited BV and FW.

Independent & Grammar schools focus far more on sports than comprehensive schools. The schools in Solihull are good, but since becoming academised the are not the same; high turnover of staff, more cover teachers, etc (I talk from experience as older DS is at local comprehensive)

Hence, that is why we are looking for a good balance between education and curricular activities.

Thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Glad you have arranged a visit - hope it goes well. Sorry to hear that the local schools were not as good - I know teacher turnover and cover teacher numbers can be a problem in lots of places
boys02

Post by boys02 »

Ds2 is year 7 at Aston and he takes the Green bus from Solihull. Ds2 loves his school and is extremley happy there, he plays rugby, cricket and gets involved in so many house events. We as parents could not be happier with the school and the teachers. Ds1 is at CHB and we love both schools equally. All the best with your desicion.x :D
boys02

Post by boys02 »

bigupash wrote:Hi,

my DS is currently 5th on the WL for Aston with 221. We live in Solihull and although the local comprehensive is good, I think he will benefit from going to a grammar school; as he is extremely sporty and plays rugby, cricket, football etc, plus academically he will be pushed more....

Unfortunately, we have not visited KE Aston and what I request is feedback from parents (new/existing) on reasons what makes Aston a great school, including Green bus etc?

One of the reasons that is putting him off is the area and issues surrounding that, should this really be a concern?

Appreciate anyone's time in their valuable feedback.

Thanks

The Green bus is very sociable and ds2 loves it. We do a car share with three other Solihull boys for after school sort(rugby, hockey and cricket). As for the area, ds1 is still on the Green bus to CHB in year10. Problems will happen anywhere, Tudor Grange park and Kings Heath park have their share. Good kuck. :D
As for what makes Aston a good school for us, is the feel that it is a family.
Aston is a very small school and we feel that it has a real community/family vibe. This is just our opinion. :D
Ds2 still goes out and still comes home as happy as he did on day 1.
Everyone has different views, however for us as a family Aston works.x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now