Birmingham Grammar Catchment Area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fm19

Re: Birmingham Grammar Catchment Area

Post by fm19 »

Maybe I have misunderstood this but surely the waiting list for category four would be all the children who lie between the priority score and the qualifying score they set.
Thus if PS is 224 and QS is 216, then all the children in each catchment between these scores will be on the waiting list. No?
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

Sorry, one more point, I don't think they are that complicated really.

Did you achieve the qualifying score?
Yes - then you can apply
no - don't apply

Looked after - yes = cat 1

Are you PP?
Yes - then you'll be in cat 2 or 3 dependent on your address

Not PP - in the catchment area you are cat 4 if you achieve the priority score (220+) or cat 5 if scoring 205-219.
If you're out of catchment it's cat 5

Simple :)
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

fm19 wrote:Maybe I have misunderstood this but surely the waiting list for category four would be all the children who lie between the priority score and the qualifying score they set.
Thus if PS is 224 and QS is 216, then all the children in each catchment between these scores will be on the waiting list. No?
No that's incorrect. Those you mention will be category 5 because they have failed to achieve the priority score.
fm19

Post by fm19 »

Sorry, yes, you are quite right. To be honest, I have only every skim read the categories.

So the waiting list will be all category 5 like you say unless there are some who add into it at a later point.
anjan

Post by anjan »

Hi All,

Due to new catchment areas it looks like there won't be any places available for Category 5, If all the places are filled by Category 1 to 4.

Correct me If I am wrong.

Regards,
Anjan.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

anjan wrote:Hi All,

Due to new catchment areas it looks like there won't be any places available for Category 5, If all the places are filled by Category 1 to 4.

Correct me If I am wrong.

Regards,
Anjan.
we don't know yet - if the priority score is fairly high then it is likely that there will be some cat 5 places available, if it is lower then there won't be.
Suspect the ideal is that the score is just right to allow all the places to be filled by in catchment children and to be able to offer a place to all the cat 4 children who apply. make the score too low and there will be children who have reached the priority score but then lose out on distance even though they are in the catchment
anjan

Post by anjan »

Hello Hermanmunster,

Thanks for your response. If the the priority score is less then there is no guaranty that all pupils' get a place even though they live inside the catchment area.

Regards,
Anjan.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Correct. There will always be in-catchment children who don't get a place; the question is, will those children be excluded by distance or by score? The Trust have said they expect to offer places in category 5, in other words they will excluded by score. How many of them there are depends entirely on how many places the Trust wants to offer to out of catchment applicants (i.e. how high they set the priority score).
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

KenR wrote:
nervousmom wrote:We have 6 choices on our form, but really think putting FW would actually be a waste.

We will be 2021 admission.

Although our address is Solihull, West Midlands, we are actually Warwickshire (some pre-fill addresses do come up Warwickshire!)

Our LEA is Warwickshire, so any changes from priority circle to Warwickshire boundary wouldn't be an issue. However, I have a nephew who is priority circle, but not Warwickshire and not Birmingham catchment either. Any changes to warks would leave him without a GS option!

One positive for us though, my DS won't be under as much pressure going for warks due to the lower scores!
I've had a look through the Warks Council Minutes on the Warks website and can't see any discussions regarding changes to the Warks Admissions along the lines of the KE Foundation. That's not to say that there haven't been any off the record discussions. As you are a Wark resident you might want to drop an email to your local County Councillor and ask the question. As a resident they are obliged to formally respond
Thanks, I might do that, it would be good to know.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now