Adams grammer transport

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Pkaur

Adams grammer transport

Post by Pkaur »

Hi All,
My son will be sitting the exam for Adams grammer in Sept 19 hopefully. We went to the open day a few weeks ago and we and our son really liked the school, however we know no one who has a son who attends the school to ask questions.

We live in Wolverhampton and were told on the open day that there are school buses from Wolverhampton but they are over subscribed with waiting lists of students currently at the school. We were advised we need to make sure we can get our son to and from school and not to rely on a school bus place for a few years.

Does anyone have first hand experience? is this true and how long usually before we may get a school bus place. I ask only because we need to think ahead logistically as we have a younger sibling to work around also.

thanks kindly in advance
ticketyboo

Re: Adams grammer transport

Post by ticketyboo »

Hi there.
My son took the test for Adams Grammar in September 2018. We have been told the same as you about transport on every letter from the school. I know of 8 boys from one Wolverhampton junior school who are in Year 7 at Adams now. None of them got a seat on the coach for the autumn term and they had to arrange a private taxi. I’m not sure if they now have a seat on the school coach.
In my own personal case, despite my son achieving a high pass mark, l couldn’t risk him not getting transport to school, so we did not put Adams as our first choice in the end.
Good luck with making your decision. It really isn’t easy.
wolvsparent

Post by wolvsparent »

My son is currently in Yr9 and catches the school bus from Wolves. We were lucky enough to get a place along with 5 or 6 others that year, but a further 8+ boys were not so lucky. The parents grouped together and organised a private minibus to do the school run every day.
We pay almost £1000/year for this service, the other parents I believe had to pay over £1500 for the private hire.

The other thing to consider is there is only one pick up after school. If they take part in any after school activity; sport, music, CCF then you will have to go pick them up or find other parents to share lifts. This week for example we have had Swing band, a hockey match and CCF on Friday, so only 2 uses of the bus back!

Those that do not get a place in Yr7 will get first refusal on any spaces the following year, which is why there aren’t enough spaces left then for the next Yr 7’s. Once they have a place, it is yours until you refuse it (or the boys behaviour means they have place taken away!)

Hope that helps
adamsparent

Post by adamsparent »

Hi

I was one of the current year 9 parents who's son took the 'unofficial' coach that was organised independently to the school. We had 11 boys and group of girls from NGH on board via the Newport taxis firm we used. It was more expensive than the school transport but only £100 or so, however we had flexibility. In yr 7 the boys do a lot of house/year activities and we were able to change pick up times as required etc so we didn't have to drive over after school to collect. It was also less of a shock to their system rather than being thrown on a loud raucous coach with boys of all ages our were eased in and the parents shared additional pick ups as needed.

My son has been on the school coach since yr 8 and measures were put in place to make it less daunting for the new boys last year (allocated yr7 seats) there is currently an additional people carrier that is collecting boys from near the Oddfellows this year.

A coach place is not guaranteed
Pkaur

Post by Pkaur »

Thanks so much everyone for your informative replies. This is a amazing site to get valuable information.

It is a ongoing concern for us so I need to make sure for at least year 7 if he gets in we can get him to and from school ourselves.

I am wondering how I would be able to get together with other parents of year 7 boys from Wolverhampton to arrange an alternative mini bus or speak to the ones who have the alternative people carrier from Oddfellows this year. Would the school maybe tell us for example that there are 8 other boys who didn't get the coach place so suggest we get together and arrange alternative transport.

Thanks again
kathb

Post by kathb »

You need to wait to see if you get offered a place really which won't be for a while yet.

However they don't tell you, you haven't got a place either.

Then if you don't get one speak to the lady who deals with transport she will forward on your email to all parents who requested a place but didn't get one for them to contact you. Be aware if you initiate this you will more than likely be responsible for the organising it. The current yr7 boys will be offered bus places before the new school year intake in September.
nervousdad1

Post by nervousdad1 »

We are currently setting up travel to NGHS from Tettenhall area of Wolves if this helps
Pkaur

Post by Pkaur »

Thanks for that. We will see how things go and if we make it that far in the process. For now we will concentrate on the exam. But you have alleviated my concerns tremendously and thanks for taking the time to reply.
Cpwolves

Post by Cpwolves »

We are looking for transport to Adams, if anyone has arranged something please get in touc!
Pkaur

Post by Pkaur »

Have you been told there is no space on the School buses from Wolverhampton for Sept 19?