Birmingham Grammars 2019-2020

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: Birmingham Grammars 2019-2020

Post by hermanmunster »

aug78 wrote: Thank you!!!

May I ask - How does a preference affect the schools choice of a child:

If you put, say KE Handsworth as your first choice, for which we are out of catchment.

And Sutton Girls as second (no catchment)

With a score of 240, does this more of less guarantee Sutton and give you a fair chance of KE Handsworth?

Or would Sutton see we didn't prioritise them and 'prefer' to take kids who put them as their first choice?

I'm not confident of this catchment rule and feel we will miss out, but I don't want to jeopardise a place at, say, Sutton girls by putting them second....

I'm new at this and realise there maybe parents here who are onto their second or third child undertaking their 11plus, apologies for the novice questions...
Sutton will not know where you have put them on the CAF

Put the schools in the order you want, if you want Handsworth then put that first, if you don;t get it then your second choice Sutton will become your first. You will have as much chance of getting in as if you put it first

Honestly haven't a clue what score will get people in from OOC this year.
KenR

Post by KenR »

For information, this was the response I received from the KE Foundation to my letter seeking further clarification about the impact of the new admission criteria:-
The proposals have been drawn up in a way to offer as far as possible, certainty to PP applicants within catchment that they would be offered their catchment school if scoring 205+. You will note category 2 does not have a limit of 25%, so there could in theory be more than 25% places at the schools taken if there were enough PP applicants within catchment achieving the qualifying score.

Based on admissions data we are confident that all applicants achieving the priority score [222] would be able to access their catchment school, however, we can offer no guarantee due to the number of factors that can influence this. We do anticipate places would still be available to offer to applicants within category 5, though this would vary from school to school.
I believe there was some further information obtained from the KE Foundation (under FOI) which seemed to suggest that, at best, there will only be a handful of places available for Category 5 (OOC) applicants for all schools but that the precise number of places available for OOC will vary between the respective KE Grammars, with KE Five Ways potentially having the least number of Category 5 OCC places.

If I was to hazard a guess, the pass mark for Cat 5 (OOC) might even be in excess of 260+ given the number of applicants and the small number of places available. However don't let this stop you putting a KE Grammar down as No1. or high on your CAF preference form.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

KenR wrote:For information, this was the response I received from the KE Foundation to my letter seeking further clarification about the impact of the new admission criteria:-
The proposals have been drawn up in a way to offer as far as possible, certainty to PP applicants within catchment that they would be offered their catchment school if scoring 205+. You will note category 2 does not have a limit of 25%, so there could in theory be more than 25% places at the schools taken if there were enough PP applicants within catchment achieving the qualifying score.

Based on admissions data we are confident that all applicants achieving the priority score [222] would be able to access their catchment school, however, we can offer no guarantee due to the number of factors that can influence this. We do anticipate places would still be available to offer to applicants within category 5, though this would vary from school to school.
I believe there was some further information obtained from the KE Foundation (under FOI) which seemed to suggest that, at best, there will only be a handful of places available for Category 5 (OOC) applicants for all schools but that the precise number of places available for OOC will vary between the respective KE Grammars, with KE Five Ways potentially having the least number of Category 5 OCC places.

If I was to hazard a guess, the pass mark for Cat 5 (OOC) might even be in excess of 260+ given the number of applicants and the small number of places available. However don't let this stop you putting a KE Grammar down as No1. or high on your CAF preference form.
Has the foi response been posted any where? Do you have a link to it?
KenR

Post by KenR »

thirdtimemum wrote:
Has the foi response been posted any where? Do you have a link to it?
I've only seen an outline of the response 2nd hand, but I can't publish as it's incomplete and I wasn't the FOI requester so I don't have the authority.
Parul

Post by Parul »

My son got 246. We r in different city.
What chance for camp hill from Ooc.
What if we move in nov?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Parul wrote:My son got 246. We r in different city.
What if we move in nov?
The school will allocate places according to its published admissions policy. What does that say about what address will be used if you move after the deadline for the submission of your CAF?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
aug78

Post by aug78 »

hermanmunster wrote:

Put the schools in the order you want, if you want Handsworth then put that first, if you don;t get it then your second choice Sutton will become your first. You will have as much chance of getting in as if you put it first

What happens if I put Handsworth as 1, Sutton as 2.

If we get first choice Handsworth, but later change our mind (and prefer Sutton) can we refuse our first choice?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

aug78 wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:

If we get first choice Handsworth, but later change our mind (and prefer Sutton) can we refuse our first choice?
You can, but that will leave you without a school place for your child. Once the highest ranked school on your CAF that can be offered to you has been offered, all your lower ranked preferences disappear, as if you had never applied.

You need to look at your LA's rules on reinstating lower ranked preferences.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Parul wrote:My son got 246. We r in different city.
What if we move in nov?
We don't know at all about the OOC scores, yours may be fine or they may be a lot lot higher - with a very high score you can apply for OOC from anywhere (though we don't know how many places there are).

Looks like key date for address is 31.10.19 ie as the CAF is submitted
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ToadMum wrote:
aug78 wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:

You can, but that will leave you without a school place for your child. Once the highest ranked school on your CAF that can be offered to you has been offered, all your lower ranked preferences disappear, as if you had never applied.

You need to look at your LA's rules on reinstating lower ranked preferences.
I think it is possible you can also opt to go on the waiting list of a lower ranked school - you would have to ask the LEA about that
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now