Birmingham Grammars 2019-2020

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mitasol

Re: Birmingham Grammars 2019-2020

Post by mitasol »

When you make an application you are ranked with all other applicants against the school’s over subscription criteria. Once your rank is within the school’s PAN you would receive an offer (unless a higher preference school could offer you a place).
LouLouJ

Post by LouLouJ »

Hi

Re Valhalla's question (sorry, I haven't worked out how to capture a post into a box to reply!)

The criteria for the out of catchment category (category 5) says

"Applicants in this category will be ranked by test score. Where scores are equal, priority will be given to those with a sibling** at the school; then ranked by distance from the school."

I read this to mean that, if there are any OOC places available after in-catchment 222+ scorers, the first OOC place would be offered to the highest score (regardless of where they live), the next OOC place to the next highest score (again regardless of address) etc, etc.

Only when it comes down to the final place does distance come into play for this category, and only AFTER siblings. i.e. for the situation where they have one OOC place left to offer but there is more than one child with the next highest score, then they would offer the place to the one who had a sibling at the school. If more than one had a sibling at the school then the offer would be made to the one (out of these) who lives closest to the school. If none of these children had a sibling at the school, then the place would be offered to the one who lives closest to the school.

Happy to be corrected by those more expert if I've not understood this correctly though!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

LouLouJ wrote:Hi

Re Valhalla's question (sorry, I haven't worked out how to capture a post into a box to reply!)

!
Hi - hit the "quote" Image button in the bottom right of the post you want to quote
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

"Applicants in this category will be ranked by test score. Where scores are equal, priority will be given to those with a sibling** at the school; then ranked by distance from the school."

I read this to mean that, if there are any OOC places available after in-catchment 222+ scorers, the first OOC place would be offered to the highest score (regardless of where they live), the next OOC place to the next highest score (again regardless of address) etc, etc.

Only when it comes down to the final place does distance come into play for this category, and only AFTER siblings. i.e. for the situation where they have one OOC place left to offer but there is more than one child with the next highest score, then they would offer the place to the one who had a sibling at the school. If more than one had a sibling at the school then the offer would be made to the one (out of these) who lives closest to the school. If none of these children had a sibling at the school, then the place would be offered to the one who lives closest to the school.

Happy to be corrected by those more expert if I've not understood this correctly though!
I've read it to meant that the start cat 5 on highest score and rank each score by distance as they have done historically. So all those on, for example, 240 will get a place based primarily on sibling rule then on distance. Then those on 239 will be offered places next under the same criteria.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

thirdtimemum wrote:

I've read it to meant that the start cat 5 on highest score and rank each score by distance as they have done historically. So all those on, for example, 240 will get a place based primarily on sibling rule then on distance. Then those on 239 will be offered places next under the same criteria.
LouLouJ is correct- siblings and distance are irrelevant unless there is more than one applicant at the score of the last one.

So, for example - all at 230 offered a place, no more places to offer, no need to rank within the 230s.

But - all at 230 offered, three places left, ten applicants on 229 would mean, first rank all 229s with siblings as a group above all without. If three only, distance of the three is irrelevant. If more than three, rank them by distance, nearest three get places and the further away ones (on 229) with a sibling, plus the non sibs, plus everyone 228 downwards, doesn't.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

ToadMum everyone would be ranked accordingly, the school wouldn't know which of their applicants would be getting an offer would they. Plus that then forms the basis of their waiting list post offer day.
LouLouJ

Post by LouLouJ »

hermanmunster wrote:

!
Hi - hit the "quote" Image button in the bottom right of the post you want to quote
Aha, thank you hermanmunster!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Wildfuture wrote:ToadMum everyone would be ranked accordingly, the school wouldn't know which of their applicants would be getting an offer would they. Plus that then forms the basis of their waiting list post offer day.
Yes, or rather, no, the school (properly, the Admissuon Authority- can be an individual school, the LA for community schools, or, indeed, the LA for an own admission authority school, if it has bought a 'complete package' from its maintaining LA) doesn't know at this stage exactly who will come to them in September from all the ('qualified', where relevant) applicants. But it has given instructions as to what order offers can be made.

And yes, looking forward, the same list, in the same order, minus the ones who have been made an offer for that school and those who have been offered a higher preference, forms the basis of the waiting list after national offer day. (Plus late applicants, who are slotted in in their place in the rankings - e.g. if the first round offers have accounted for everyone in categories A to D, but a late applicant is a 'Category C', they go to the top of the list).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
LouLouJ

Post by LouLouJ »

Hi 11+ journey people

Well, this makes for some very interesting reading for a Friday night - just published on the website, figures of this year's Birmingham test entrants broken down by PP / non PP and catchment area, and last year's ....

https://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk ... pplicants/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting that they say a couple of (possibly otherwise oversubscribed?) schools (CHB / HWG) may be considering increasing their intake which, if they did, would open up more spaces. Also interesting that they expect the published PP figures to decrease a little.

Particularly noteworthy is the statement "No allowance has been made for candidates who will opt to apply for and be successful in being offered other schools such as independent schools, alternative grammar schools or comprehensive schools. As intended, there will be places available across the majority of the selective schools for applicants who fall under Category 5."

"Majority" would seem to be the key word here as by my (extremely humble) reckoning, the figures would appear to indicate that some of the schools should have Category 5 places (CHG / HWB certainly, Aston possibly?), others are perhaps borderline (CHB / HWG and only if they do add to their intake?) while KEFW is looking less likely to (?) :?:

Of course, there are still all the other options - Grammars in surrounding areas e.g. Warks / Sutton / BV / Walsall / Wolverhampton etc etc, plus non-selectives and independents - to which these figures obviously don't pertain ....

Digest and deliberate folks .... still a few days before CAF submission (or resubmission!)

Views/comments from any expert statisticians on this forum very welcome! :?
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

Interesting indeed and in fairneness to them good. I'm not aware of any other school or LA doing this. You wouldn't see a Catholic school giving information like how many baptised applicants they have received to date?

So I'm guessing from those numbers you can take away all those who will go to vesey and Sutton? Good couple of hundred there. Before even thinking about Warwickshire, Walsall grammars and KES
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now