Why is the priority score higher than qualifying score?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Wildfuture

Re: Why is the priority score higher than qualifying score?

Post by Wildfuture »

If you achieve the priority score (220 for arguments sake) and live in catchment you will get a place before someone achieving the same score and living outside catchment.

If you score below the priority score (say 205-219) you'll be cat5 along with everyone who lives outside catchment, and anyone in catchment within that score range. Not sure why you think it's harder?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Fishface101 wrote:Thank you that is clear but why set a higher cat 4 than cat 5 - why make it harder? Am I missing the obvious?
I read it that category 1 is taken first , then cat 2 etc..cat 4 before cat 5
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I think OP needs to put the qualifying score from his/her mind:

1. The QS is only relevant for Looked After/Pupil Premium applications (cat 1-2-3), it's simply not relevant for anyone in cat 4-5.

2. No one who gets less than the PS will get a place unless they're in cat 1/2/3.

3. It's quite likely that no one from cat 5 scoring less than 10 points above the PS will get an offer.

In other words, on results day it will pan out something like:

- score from 205* to 219: automatically offered a place if cat 1/2, possible place if cat 3 (but only if less than 25% of places offered to cat 2, and only if scored high enough - cat 3 are offered in score order)

- score from 220* to about (say) 229: automatically offered a place if in cat 1/2/4, possible place if cat 3 (if less than 25% places offered to cat 2, and if scored high enough).

- score of (say) 230+: automatic place if in cat 1/2/4, possible place if in cat 3 (if less than 25% of places offered to cat 2), possible place if cat 5 (but places will be offered highest first, so no guarantees - note that cat 3 applicants will qualify under cat 5 if they score high enough, even if no cat 3 places were offered or they've all been filled).

That doesn't make cat 5 look "easier" than cat 4 to me - although it does look easier than cat 3, which looks to me like the least likely route to a place.

* - 205 and 220 were used as examples in Trust consultation docs, the actual qualifying score and priority score for 2020 will be announced before Sep 7th. As far as I can see they've not yet been announced.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now