PE kit advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bewilderedofbearwood

PE kit advice

Post by bewilderedofbearwood »

Hello. DS is starting at KEFW next week (eek) and I am finding the PE kit advice baffling. It says rugby / football boots and we have never bought either before but preliminary research suggests they are not interchangeable. Do they play these sports in separate seasons or are they saying either or? I would be interested to know what other people have chosen for this year or in previous years. Thanks. :shock:
kenyancowgirl

Re: PE kit advice

Post by kenyancowgirl »

You can wear rugby boots to play football but not the other way round, generally. Rugby boots have metal studs, football tend to be plastic or part plastic - the plastic can cause a problem in rugby and a good ref would not let your child play if they have plastic or part plastic studs.

I would advise against getting one boot and changeable studs - the mud will get into the thread and make it impossible to change them and it is a real faff!
smarties3

Post by smarties3 »

DS is at KEFW. He wears rugby boots (removable metal studs) and as far as I’m aware wears these for both rugby and football. Think we might have replaced one of the studs at one point and it was ok? Got them reasonably cheaply from a local budget sports shop ... bear in mind boots come up small and he’s likely to need at least 1 size bigger. Feel free to PM me, happy to comment about kit! Best wishes
bewilderedofbearwood

Brilliant. Thank you both. I will just look at Rugby boots then.
Rooroo

Post by Rooroo »

Thanks. DS also in year 7 at KEFW and need to purchase boots. Will go with rugby boots then.
bewilderedofbearwood

Now trying to figure out if a gum shield is necessary.
bewilderedofbearwood

Plus DS told me that showers after PE / games are optional. That's going to be lovely for other bus passengers on his way home!
smarties3

Post by smarties3 »

bewilderedofbearwood wrote:Now trying to figure out if a gum shield is necessary.
I’d say definitely don’t skimp on this. Seen a few broken teeth and it’s devastating. At the very least a ‘heat and mould’ cheapie from a local discount sports shop... if they play rugby to a good standard I’d strongly recommend one made by a dentist as the fit is much much better. Cost clearly involved but way cheaper than years of dental treatment after trauma ...

We definitely have smelly boys in our house with or without showers after PE. I’m given to understand this gets better as they get older but let’s see :-)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

bewilderedofbearwood wrote:Now trying to figure out if a gum shield is necessary.
School rugby rules: no gumshield, no rugby.

Your child only has one set of adult teeth - why on earth would they risk them? I would always recommend a dentist moulded one as they are by far the best fitted/quality - they come in at about £50 and generally (unless your child needs a brace) will last a good few years - so £ for £ work out pretty good value.
Stansmum

Post by Stansmum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
School rugby rules: no gumshield, no rugby.

Your child only has one set of adult teeth - why on earth would they risk them? I would always recommend a dentist moulded one as they are by far the best fitted/quality - they come in at about £50 and generally (unless your child needs a brace) will last a good few years - so £ for £ work out pretty good value.
My son is at Five Ways and I doubt he will ever, in his entire school career, get £50 worth of rugby value shivering on the periphery for the minimum number of lessons possible. He's not exactly sporty :lol:

I take your point, but when you're shelling out hundreds ahead of Y7, the gum shield is not top of the list. In fact, my son didn't play rugby at all in Year 7.