Solihull merger with st martins

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Slater25

Solihull merger with st martins

Post by Slater25 »

Hi all my dd was due to sit the st martins exam in Solihull in November but now with the merger with st martins school she will now have to sit the more difficult more selective exam of Solihull school. Does anyone know roughly what the pass mark is for this or do you need to be scoring over 75% in each paper or would more than 50% suffice. I must say having sat and done part a and b of the maths paper and the hobbit comprehension which some questions I thought were particularly difficult my daughter doesn’t stand a chance . Would be interesting to other parents comments of their children who have passed it or not passed as the case may be and how difficult they found it
hermanmunster

Re: Solihull merger with st martins

Post by hermanmunster »

Not sure that I can help with the exam difficulty but thinking about it, one way or another they will be wanting to fill the available places and won't suddenly have more people to fill places at the Solihull school exam standard.

I remember both schools well, from when lads left my primary school at 7-11 to go to Solihull and then some friends who started at Alice House and then moved onto St Martin's when it was in Homer Road. Despite what the schools say in the blurb, the commonest reason from mergers is numbers.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

hermanmunster wrote:Despite what the schools say in the blurb, the commonest reason from mergers is numbers.
I've always said St Martins is too small.

Solihull School:
Each School is currently in a sound financial position; however, it is clear that over time the future for Saint Martin’s will become more challenging. Therefore, the decision to merge has been taken to secure the future of the education of current and future pupils at Saint Martin’s.
No beating about the bush there!
mum1115

Post by mum1115 »

are you basing the difference on the sample paper provided by St martin's with the application info?
When my daughter sat the exam she said the sample paper standard was nothing like the actual exam - the sample paper being extremely easy and the actual paper being like a normal exam standard.