Moving to Birmingham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum_sa

Moving to Birmingham

Post by mum_sa »

Hi,

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, dont know anything about Birmingham 11+ system.

We are planning to move to Birmingham due to my business, My son is in Year 5 right now. He will be giving 11 plus in 2020.
When we have to show the evidence for catchment because finding house etc can take time?

Thanks
mitasol

Re: Moving to Birmingham

Post by mitasol »

You need to check the admissions policies for any schools you want to apply for. Every school should have the information on their websites under School Admissions.

This is a good place to start. https://birminghamgrammarschools.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The LA admissions information is also essential reading. https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/schooladmissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

When you decide on a catchment area, research your local comps too so that you have a non selective option/s too (unless you'd take the independent route).
mjasghar

Post by mjasghar »

Remember that the test application starts May with a deadline of the last Friday in June
The foundation will then check your address via the primary school you’re child is at
This will determine which school you take the test at
Then you have to register with Birmingham council for the caf which will determine catchment area
Of course that means you may end up taking the test at one school but be in the catchment area for another
mum_sa

Post by mum_sa »

Thanks for the reply.

@mjasghar It means for taking the test we dont need to be in catchment, My son can take Birmingham test from High Wycombe(where we live now) as well. Before CAF we need to move in catchment area. Am I right?

I don't want to change his primary school in Year 5. So If my husband move there and we complete Year 5 here and then move after 11 plus. Is it possible?
Wildfuture

Post by Wildfuture »

So you don't want to move in Year 5 but willing to do so in Year 6?
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

You need to move into catchment before the CAF deadline if you also want to secure a place at comp if you don't meet the 11 plus pass score

Easier to move in year 5 than 6 though!
Docmaggiemay

Post by Docmaggiemay »

mjasghar wrote: The foundation will then check your address via the primary school you’re child is at
This will determine which school you take the test at
Then you have to register with Birmingham council for the caf which will determine catchment area
Of course that means you may end up taking the test at one school but be in the catchment area for another
I’m not sure this is quite right. Our catchment school is Five Ways but kids from my sons class took it at various different schools. He himself took the test at Aston but others in his class that I know of took it at Five Ways and both of the Camp Hill schools. I’m not sure how it’s allocated but it’s not just by your address or school
Nella

Post by Nella »

The child sits it at the closest school to their home address. Five ways is our catchment school and 11+ centre was Handsworth
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

mum_sa wrote:Thanks for the reply.

@mjasghar It means for taking the test we dont need to be in catchment, My son can take Birmingham test from High Wycombe(where we live now) as well. Before CAF we need to move in catchment area. Am I right?

I don't want to change his primary school in Year 5. So If my husband move there and we complete Year 5 here and then move after 11 plus. Is it possible?

Please be aware though, that if you think you could use your husband's address to "pretend" you had been living there all along, you can't - especially if you have not moved primary school. Birmingham are pretty hot on what they call address fraud (which that would be) and require you to send copious evidence of an address. I would whole heartedly recommend you move sooner, rather than later - it give him time to settle and, assumably you will move after Y5 regardless of the 11+ result or not, if your husband has already gone...?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now