Sandwell residents

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nard

Sandwell residents

Post by Nard »

Birmingham schools for Birmingham children is what we are being told is the whole concept of having catchment areas for the grammar schools. What about residents in Sandwell who have no grammar school in catchment. This year our local comprehensive only took children from within 0.9 miles away we are 1.2 miles away. What school would my children go to not my local comprehensive but one further afield.

The whole system seems unfair to me what is the point in taking the 11+ when they are now focusing on catchment and the score is not relevant. Or is it the point that they still want the brightest children at the grammars but want to show that they are being socially acceptable by taking catchment and pp children.

The new system has no affect on me as both my children are in years 9 and 11. It just seems to me that it is unfair Sandwell has been left out of the new catchment.
Nella

Re: SANDWELL RESIDENTS

Post by Nella »

Hi Nard. You don’t say where in Sandwell you are, but parts of Sandwell are included the catchment areas. Specifically for Five Ways and Handsworth schools. There is always the option of places at the Sutton schools too although travelling time may be an issue!
JustOutside

Re: Sandwell residents

Post by JustOutside »

Nella, the vast majority of Sandwell is excluded - only a couple of particularly deprived wards that border Birmingham have been added.

Nard, the shrinking distance from comps in 2019 doesn't have any relevance to with the grammar changes which will take effect in 2020. There were just more children born in that year living near to that comp.

The 'unfairness' to Sandwell residents, Worcestershire residents living close to FW and other neighbours has been discussed at length on previous threads.

I do agree with you by the way. We live in Sandwell with a Y4 DD due to start secondary in 2022, and we live in fear that both SCGSG and QMHS will go to catchment areas in the next two years. Our options (assuming DD doesn't get a 'top' score and secure an OOC place):

1) Send DD to a local comprehensive
2) Move to Birmingham

In recent weeks we've visited the local comps, and they're ok, so we're staying put. There's no point in spending the next two years complaining, and pissing off our Birmingham friends (some of whom will also be inconvenienced by the changes) in the process. We just have to make the best of it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now