CAF - Order of preference school allocation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

anjan

CAF - Order of preference school allocation

Post by anjan »

Hello All,

Thanks to everyone sharing your knowledge. Can you please help me to understand CAF order of preference for school allocations.

Example:

Child A(Five Ways catchment) - CAF order of preference Priority 1 - Five ways school(Category 4- Distance 1.5 Miles from school)

Child B(Five Ways catchment) - CAF order of preference Priority 1 - Camphill school(Category 5- Outside Catchment)
CAF order of preference Priority 2 - Five ways school(Category 4- Distance 1 Mile from school)

1. Is Child A has advantage over Child B on Five ways school because of Priority 1(Distance 1.5 Miles from Five ways)

2. If Child B doesn't get allocation to Priority 1 Camphill due to seats already filled, Is Child B has disadvantage over Child A on Five ways school(Distance 1 Miles from Five ways) because of Priority 2 Five ways.

Many thanks.

Regards,
Anjan.
streathammum

Re: CAF - Order of preference school allocation

Post by streathammum »

Your admissions rank doesn't change, regardless of where you put the school on the CAF.

In your example, Child B will always be higher for Five Ways than Child A because she lives closer (assuming that distance is the way that children are ranked for this school). The only way Child A would get a Five Ways offer before Child B would be if Child B didn't put Five Ways on the CAF or put another school above Five Ways on the CAF and was offered that instead.

Always put the schools in your genuine order of preference on your CAF.

You can't jump the queue but ordering the schools in a particular way and you can't be leapfrogged by anyone else. The schools will be offered according to the admissions criteria (distance, score etc) and the admissions criteria DO NOT INCLUDE where the school is put on the CAF.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

anjan wrote:Hello All,

Thanks to everyone sharing your knowledge. Can you please help me to understand CAF order of preference for school allocations.

Example:

Child A(Five Ways catchment) - CAF order of preference Priority 1 - Five ways school(Category 4- Distance 1.5 Miles from school)

Child B(Five Ways catchment) - CAF order of preference Priority 1 - Camphill school(Category 5- Outside Catchment)
CAF order of preference Priority 2 - Five ways school(Category 4- Distance 1 Mile from school)

1. Is Child A has advantage over Child B on Five ways school because of Priority 1(Distance 1.5 Miles from Five ways)

2. If Child B doesn't get allocation to Priority 1 Camphill due to seats already filled, Is Child B has disadvantage over Child A on Five ways school(Distance 1 Miles from Five ways) because of Priority 2 Five ways.

Many thanks.

Regards,
Anjan.
Hi Anjan,

I think I understand what you are asking but my understanding is that child A will not be an advantage over child B just because of the CAF order. You MUST put your priority in the order you want. I really cannot stress it enough in this year's situation.
I keep seeing many posts asking about CAF order. If your favourite school is camp Hill put it as number 1. Don't put Sutton girls / vesey down as they don't have a catchment rule or five ways in your case just because you believe they have a better chance at getting in.
In this case you could put it as number 5 (make sure you put your local comp somewhere just in case) and child b won't be at a disadvantage. Child B will always higher on the list than child A as they live nearer where ever it is on the CAF.
Please, please put your schools in your preferenced order or else you may miss out on your first choice.... There is always an outside chance. With so many preferences available we are lucky we can take some chances.
anjan

Post by anjan »

Thanks streathammum and thirdtimemum for your valuable inputs. Much appreciated.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now