Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:22 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:54 pm
Posts: 11
Just wondering if anyone can share information regarding travelling to sutton grammar for girls using public transport, from Halesowen, Quinton way. I know you can catch train direct from university of Birmingham and five ways, it is a bit of a long way , so not completely sure about it. I did ask about yellow bus, but they will only run it from a particular area if it's in demand. I know with other grammar schools, the green bus runs and they have definite pick up and drop off points. Thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:24 am
Posts: 12
Rupy1 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone can share information regarding travelling to sutton grammar for girls using public transport, from Halesowen, Quinton way. I know you can catch train direct from university of Birmingham and five ways, it is a bit of a long way , so not completely sure about it. I did ask about yellow bus, but they will only run it from a particular area if it's in demand. I know with other grammar schools, the green bus runs and they have definite pick up and drop off points. Thanks


I wouldn’t want to do a daily commute to Sutton Coldfield from Halesowen as an adult with a car. Trying to do it by bus or train on a daily basis will be super tiring and time consuming. If you’re set on Sutton Coldfield, personally I’d move house.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:56 am
Posts: 139
I know a few boys who live Harborne/ Bearwood area who catch the 48 bus and then the train from the university to Bishop Vesey. They need to be on the bus shortly after 7am. I would have thought the journey from you would add on another 15- 20mins or so? They get back at 5ish.
If the university train station is not suitable then the number 9 to the town centre and then the cross city line to Sutton Coldfield. The Hagley road journey is no fun; particularly in the afternoon.

I would question if a school is worth that journey. What schools are near you? I have friends’ children who have done/ are doing very well at Leasowes and Perryfields. These must be close to you?


Last edited by Nella on Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:45 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:54 pm
Posts: 11
Decided against sutton, the journey, was too long. Plus they didn't even have a green school bus running from our area..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 10166
Location: Essex
Rupy1 wrote:
Decided against sutton, the journey, was too long. Plus they didn't even have a green school bus running from our area..


Do you mean, you had the offer, but have rejected it, or that you were thinking about making a new application to the school, as a possible alternative to the place your DD got last Monday (or you had named the school as a higher preference than the one she got and you were considering whether to stay on the waiting list?).

_________________
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:48 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:54 pm
Posts: 11
Hi, sutton was my 2nd choice, luckily I got my first! I shouldn't put sutton down at all, but because of all,the catchment rules brought in , it ended up, limiting our choices . The catchment rule unfortunately, hasn't worked out for everyone. It should be your nearest school, 5 ways is 10 minutes away but my ward is not part of their catchment!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:56 am
Posts: 139
Rupy1 wrote:
Hi, sutton was my 2nd choice, luckily I got my first! I shouldn't put sutton down at all, but because of all,the catchment rules brought in , it ended up, limiting our choices . The catchment rule unfortunately, hasn't worked out for everyone. It should be your nearest school, 5 ways is 10 minutes away but my ward is not part of their catchment!

We’re 10 minutes from 5 ways too- and even though we live in the catchment area my child hasn’t been offered a place. I agree it should be a local school for local children and the areas adjoining the West of 5 ways have missed out. There’s winners and losers. I’m glad your daughter has been offered her 1st choice.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SH031 and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2020