Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:00 pm 

Just wondering if anyone can share information regarding travelling to sutton grammar for girls using public transport, from Halesowen, Quinton way. I know you can catch train direct from university of Birmingham and five ways, it is a bit of a long way , so not completely sure about it. I did ask about yellow bus, but they will only run it from a particular area if it's in demand. I know with other grammar schools, the green bus runs and they have definite pick up and drop off points. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:21 am 

Rupy1 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone can share information regarding travelling to sutton grammar for girls using public transport, from Halesowen, Quinton way. I know you can catch train direct from university of Birmingham and five ways, it is a bit of a long way , so not completely sure about it. I did ask about yellow bus, but they will only run it from a particular area if it's in demand. I know with other grammar schools, the green bus runs and they have definite pick up and drop off points. Thanks

I wouldn’t want to do a daily commute to Sutton Coldfield from Halesowen as an adult with a car. Trying to do it by bus or train on a daily basis will be super tiring and time consuming. If you’re set on Sutton Coldfield, personally I’d move house.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:34 am 

I know a few boys who live Harborne/ Bearwood area who catch the 48 bus and then the train from the university to Bishop Vesey. They need to be on the bus shortly after 7am. I would have thought the journey from you would add on another 15- 20mins or so? They get back at 5ish.
If the university train station is not suitable then the number 9 to the town centre and then the cross city line to Sutton Coldfield. The Hagley road journey is no fun; particularly in the afternoon.

I would question if a school is worth that journey. What schools are near you? I have friends’ children who have done/ are doing very well at Leasowes and Perryfields. These must be close to you?

Last edited by Nella on Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:45 am 

Decided against sutton, the journey, was too long. Plus they didn't even have a green school bus running from our area..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:05 am 

Rupy1 wrote:
Decided against sutton, the journey, was too long. Plus they didn't even have a green school bus running from our area..

Do you mean, you had the offer, but have rejected it, or that you were thinking about making a new application to the school, as a possible alternative to the place your DD got last Monday (or you had named the school as a higher preference than the one she got and you were considering whether to stay on the waiting list?).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:48 am 

Hi, sutton was my 2nd choice, luckily I got my first! I shouldn't put sutton down at all, but because of all,the catchment rules brought in , it ended up, limiting our choices . The catchment rule unfortunately, hasn't worked out for everyone. It should be your nearest school, 5 ways is 10 minutes away but my ward is not part of their catchment!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:05 pm 

Rupy1 wrote:
Hi, sutton was my 2nd choice, luckily I got my first! I shouldn't put sutton down at all, but because of all,the catchment rules brought in , it ended up, limiting our choices . The catchment rule unfortunately, hasn't worked out for everyone. It should be your nearest school, 5 ways is 10 minutes away but my ward is not part of their catchment!

We’re 10 minutes from 5 ways too- and even though we live in the catchment area my child hasn’t been offered a place. I agree it should be a local school for local children and the areas adjoining the West of 5 ways have missed out. There’s winners and losers. I’m glad your daughter has been offered her 1st choice.