Birmingham Allocations 2020 - out of catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Home_alone

Re: Birmingham Allocations 2020 - out of catchment

Post by Home_alone »

Tamilmaaran wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:Hi everyone - hope you all get the news you were hoping for when the allocations come out :D

Much of the allocations will be based on the catchments but the unknown area is where people have applied to schools out of catchment and would be after places under category 5:
5. Applicants achieving the qualifying score. Applicants in this category
will be ranked by test score. Where scores are equal, priority will be
given to those with a sibling** at the school; then ranked by distance
from the school.

If there are any places remaining after 1-4 then pupils who achieve above 205 will be ranked by score, if they have equal scores then having a sibling followed by distance will come into play.
This is a category where there could be out of catchment pupils with high scores and in catchment pupils with scores just under the priority score
I think it would be most helpful if people are awarded places out of catchment if they could indicate the school and the score - also if you have applied to an out of catchment grammar but not been offered a place, then the school and the score would be very helpful in seeing how many places are available via this route and what the required score is.

so...

School applied for
Score
Successful?

KEFW ........... 266 not offered - information is wrong - may be not in the first list due to OOC
BV ............. 226 offered / 223 not offered
Handsworth Girls ....... 222 offered / 218 (non PP) offered
SCGSG ... 251 offered
Aston..... 220 offered
CHB.........228 not offered
Handsworth Boys ...... 215 offered
CHG ...... 245 offered

I don’t understand this either as Sutton girls don’t have a catchment area! So the lowest score offered is just that, irrespective of where the child lives - and it certainly isn’t 251! I think they went to around 213 for this academic year.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Home_alone wrote:
I don’t understand this either as Sutton girls don’t have a catchment area! So the lowest score offered is just that, irrespective of where the child lives - and it certainly isn’t 251! I think they went to around 213 for this academic year.
Perhaps I should explain how that post came about - on March 1st each year (in that case 2020) we pick up news of people who have places or who have failed to get places and over a period of time refine it to get the cutoff - we are totally reliant on people reporting.
for the Birmingham schools the FO publish the cutoffs fairly quickly so we get very clear and accurate info - hence the table we compile becomes redundant.

The answers are here: https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... and-offers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sutton went to 215 on March 1st 2021 and 217 in 2020
Home_alone

Post by Home_alone »

hermanmunster wrote:
Home_alone wrote:
Perhaps I should explain how that post came about - on March 1st each year (in that case 2020) we pick up news of people who have places or who have failed to get places and over a period of time refine it to get the cutoff - we are totally reliant on people reporting.
for the Birmingham schools the FO publish the cutoffs fairly quickly so we get very clear and accurate info - hence the table we compile becomes redundant.

The answers are here: https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... and-offers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sutton went to 215 on March 1st 2021 and 217 in 2020
Thank you, yes I understand how the process works but I think it is misleading to give an out of catchment score for a school that does not have a catchment area. Also the score I referred to was from waiting list offers which are below those offered on 1st March, and also relevant for the tread.