Birmingham allocations 2020 - in catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
HammerHHH

Re: Birmingham allocations 2020 - in catchment

Post by HammerHHH »

imranb wrote:
mike1880 wrote:Well, we know it's 12 at most.
OK. Many thanks.
Long shot, do we know their scores? Have they been offered other GS like Aston/Handsworth?
If a CHB applicant with a 222 score has missed a place at CHB on distance but has put KEA or KEH they’ll definitely have a spot. I don’t think people should get to worked up about which of the KE schools they go to. It’s travel time not the school that will have the most negative impact, hence the new rules.
Nella

Post by Nella »

imranb wrote:
OK. Many thanks.
Long shot, do we know their scores? Have they been offered other GS like Aston/Handsworth?
You will only know the scores and if they’ve applied to other schools if they post on here.
If these children put CHB as 1st choice they will be on the waiting list and this will be ordered by distance. The only time the scores will be relevant is for out of catchment applicants
LouLouJ

Post by LouLouJ »

Unless 222+ scorers moved into the catchment between test result and CAF submission. I remember reading a recent post saying they knew some people who had moved into rental properties in the catchment area for their preferred school once they’d had their test result, although I can’t remember which catchment that referred to. But it is a possible factor in upping the numbers from those released by the KE Foundation based on test entry data.

On a more positive note, interesting Twitter conversation seems to reinforce the message for potential Cat 4 spaces indicated in the press release yesterday (refers to KEFW but would imagine same applies to CHB)

https://twitter.com/schoolsofkevi/statu ... 2435402752" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KenR

Post by KenR »

HammerHHH wrote:
imranb wrote:
OK. Many thanks.
If a CHB applicant with a 222 score has missed a place at CHB on distance but has put KEA or KEH they’ll definitely have a spot. I don’t think people should get to worked up about which of the KE schools they go to. It’s travel time not the school that will have the most negative impact, hence the new rules.
Don't think this is necessarily correct - you can only be in catchment for one school and if this was CHB then they would be Cat5 OOC for KEA and KEH, but the criteria for Cat5 is score in the exam, so they could miss out on exam score.
mjasghar

Post by mjasghar »

Yes but looking at peoples posts in the ooc thread it’s clear that 213 is the cutoff for Aston and most of the schools that have cat 5 places available
Taking Aston as an example they still have places left over for cat 5 despite having the largest catchment area
https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... and-offers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What I think may be interesting is just how many people gamed the system using temporary addresses to get into the chb area, and how that will affect pupil and parent relationships. Especially in light of adding another form and space issues
msquantity

Post by msquantity »

I wonder if any only put down their catchment grammar as an option on the basis they scored over 222 and lived in the catchment and believed that guaranteed a place?
msquantity

Post by msquantity »

I've spoken to someone who didn't put down any grammars as they thought you had to have a minimum 222. They're now considering altering their preferences to try and get in of the wait list.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

msquantity wrote:I've spoken to someone who didn't put down any grammars as they thought you had to have a minimum 222. They're now considering altering their preferences to try and get in of the wait list.
That doesn't surprise me, and others whom I imagine never thought they would get a place
OOC and on a lower score. This is why, even if you think it is impossible,, you must put your preferences in your true preferred order.
KenR

Post by KenR »

For those in catchment, scoring above the Priority Score, it's worth reading the full text of the Heath Monk's message on the KE Foundation Website. It may give some hope of a place via the waiting list. See:-

https://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk ... e-schools/

In particular:-
He added: “We are keeping the catchment areas and scores under review. For example, we know that not all high-scoring non-Pupil Premium children in the Five Ways and Camp Hill Boys catchment areas will receive an offer today. However, we are confident that sufficient places will become available over the next few months – and they will be top of the waiting lists for those schools.”
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

msquantity wrote:I've spoken to someone who didn't put down any grammars as they thought you had to have a minimum 222. They're now considering altering their preferences to try and get in of the wait list.
msquantity wrote:I wonder if any only put down their catchment grammar as an option on the basis they scored over 222 and lived in the catchment and believed that guaranteed a place?
I think both of these are possible problems - the information from the LEA / Foundation for next year will have to address these
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now