SUTTON COLDFIELD GIRLS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
crystale

SUTTON COLDFIELD GIRLS

Post by crystale »

I am a worried parent who is new to this. My situation is that my daughter passed the test for a place at Sutton Girls grammar school but was unable to get a secure place and is currently on the waiting list. Last week I was told that her position was 4th but this week it seems to have move to 9th. Has anyone been in this position before? Can anyone advice me as to whether she has a chance of getting a place?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Crystale

Please see Appeal Post topic:-

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=6038

I assume you daughter also scored 321??

The problem is that they made 165 offers which is 15 over the PAN so any they will be no movement on the waaiting list until they have 15 rejections.

Doesn't look good at the moment but you never know - there will be some movement next week.

The Waiting List movement from 4th to 9th was probably due to Late Admissions.

Hope this helps

Regards
crystale

Post by crystale »

Thank you for your reply it was very helpful.

After age standardisation her score was 321, which I was really disappointed with because my view is that she would have had a much stronger chance at gaining a place if her age wasn't an issue. At the time of the exam she was 10 yrs, 11 mths and 4 days old. My daughter was born 10 weeks premature can that have any bearing on an appeal.
At school my daughter has always maintained good grades throughout and has been predicted level 5's for her SAT's. What would your advice be to a desperate parent? Shall I wait for the inal decision or shall I try my chances with an appeal?
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Crystale

There was a topic on this in the Appeals section.
Seehttp://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=5411

If you are considering an Appeal and want to discuss this further, it would be best to open a new topic in the Appeals section. Please read the sticky posts prior to raising and include the LEA and School in the title.

If you intend to Appeal I think you have to submit your application within the next few days. Speak to B/ham LEA Admissions

Regards
abcdef

Post by abcdef »

Hi Crystale,
I agree with Ken R and suggest that the Appeals section might have some answers to your questions. I think the issue of premature births has already been raised in one of the threads.
However, having compared a number of raw scores this year with the standardised scores, it seems that age has not had much effect, more the actual raw scores. One mark difference in the raw score has had a large impact on the standardised score.
Regarding the waiting list, the initial letter offering girls a place asked parents to let them know which other schools they were waiting for results from (i.e private). They also offered an open morning last Friday for parents "seeking reassurance". The implications that I took from this were that perhaps many parents had offers from private schools and therefore there may be some movement in the list.
Good luck with your decision.
flashismyname

Post by flashismyname »

hey babe

its gonna be alright. my friend was in this situation. she hung in their and her daughter did get a place even though they were 13th on the list. Most people just give up and send the kids to the comp so you do have a good chance :-). she was older so she didnt get many extra marks...
lottie

Post by lottie »

Hi Crystale

We are in the same boat as you.

Hopefully, you read Ken R's post about appealing, as the deadline has gone.

Even though sutton school said that they now have their numbers, the only chance of any movement from the list would be, if Sutton Girls successfully appealed for a KE's place, moved area, or chose comp. All three of these are unlikely - so appealing is really our only option.

I wish us both luck.
crystale

Keeping my fingers crossed

Post by crystale »

Hey Flashismyname
Thank you for your vote of confidence, I am just praying and hoping but it's just frusrating cause it's out of my control.
crystale

Post by crystale »

Hey Lottie

Thanks for your support and i'd like to wish you all the best with your appeal and getting your place.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now