Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:51 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:32 am 

Given the current situation it is very likely that those claiming FSM is going to rise dramatically. Probably only for a short time but nonetheless there will be many more who would qualify under the current PP criteria.
As the Birmingham Admissions to Grammar allows for the whole PAN to be filled with those who have claimed FSM in the last 6 years then without changes there will be no non pp places available in the birmingham grammar schools for the next 6 years.

Maybe it's time to change the PP measure and make it FSM for 2 years or something similar. I've always thought that the measure was a problem as people's circumstances can change dramatically over a 6 year period and 3 months of FSM gives an enormous advantage to their children at 11+.
Totally supportive of PP advantage but I'd like to see it go to the right children.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:57 am 

I’m not sure this is the right time to be thinking of FSM and PP. Some of us have children who have just been told that what they have been working towards for the last 2 or 3 years have been cancelled. I have sent my DS1 into school today very confused not knowing what is going to happen to all the hard work he has been doing for the last 3 years. Perhaps this is not the right time to be questioning these things.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:05 pm 

It seems to me to be dangerously close to suggesting that someone whose family sails through the coronavirus upheaval without serious financial issues should be rewarded with a reserved place at GS. I'm not broadly in favour of that idea.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:48 pm 

"I'd like to see it go to the right children".....

Hmm....yours, then?

As Nard says, probably best to address your thoughts elsewhere for now. Currently schools may not be open till September anyway so they have quite enough to be thinking about.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:04 pm 

kenyancowgirl wrote:
"I'd like to see it go to the right children".....

Hmm....yours, then?

As Nard says, probably best to address your thoughts elsewhere for now. Currently schools may not be open till September anyway so they have quite enough to be thinking about.

No - those who are genuinely disadvantaged - not those who claim an advantage as a result of a short term fall in earnings.
I have no vested interest, both mine are beyond their 11+ but I do strongly believe that advantage should be given to kids who are disadvantaged, bright and would benefit from the Grammar ethos and environment.