Possibility of getting into Bham Grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Aishwarya

Possibility of getting into Bham Grammar schools

Post by Aishwarya »

Hi,

I am sincerely hoping to find an answer for my query.
We live at Nottingham. I am planning to let my ds sit his test for the Bham tests next year. He is currently in year 4. Will he eligible to sit the test in 2021? Or are we considered too far from catchement and hence probability of finding a place is too hard?

Thank you
Nella

Re: Possibility of getting into Bham Grammar schools

Post by Nella »

Hi Aishwarya
Welcome to the forum.

Can I ask- are you planning to move into the catchment area for one of the B’ham grammars? If you are planning to remain in Nottingham please, please, please think seriously about the effects of putting your child through the stresses of the 11+ process.
There is nothing to stop your son from sitting the 11+ and indeed him applying for a place. The out of catchment scores required for some of the schools haven’t been as high as predicted so he may stand a chance of getting a place.

However; if you stay in Nottingham, would you seriously consider making him commute to Birmingham on a daily basis for the next 5 years? You would be looking at more than an hour by car and possibly double that with public transport. Bonkers.

Of course if you move to within a catchment area- go for it and ignore my commuting comments!
Aishwarya

Post by Aishwarya »

Nella wrote:Hi Aishwarya
Welcome to the forum.

Can I ask- are you planning to move into the catchment area for one of the B’ham grammars? If you are planning to remain in Nottingham please, please, please think seriously about the effects of putting your child through the stresses of the 11+ process.
There is nothing to stop your son from sitting the 11+ and indeed him applying for a place. The out of catchment scores required for some of the schools haven’t been as high as predicted so he may stand a chance of getting a place.

However; if you stay in Nottingham, would you seriously consider making him commute to Birmingham on a daily basis for the next 5 years? You would be looking at more than an hour by car and possibly double that with public transport. Bonkers.

Of course if you move to within a catchment area- go for it and ignore my commuting comments!

Thank you very much for the reply. But, we are looking to move closer incase we find a place. As there are no grammar schools in Nottingham, we had to apply out of catchment for a few other counties as well.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I appreciate you may want a grammar school but there are other schools in Nottingham and some do very well - have you looked at you local school? It can be quite disruptive to suddenly move to another area just because the local one doesn't have grammar schools - it can affect the whole family, younger children who may not pass the 11 plus and parents who have to commute further / find new jobs
Aishwarya

Post by Aishwarya »

hermanmunster wrote:I appreciate you may want a grammar school but there are other schools in Nottingham and some do very well - have you looked at you local school? It can be quite disruptive to suddenly move to another area just because the local one doesn't have grammar schools - it can affect the whole family, younger children who may not pass the 11 plus and parents who have to commute further / find new jobs

Thanks for the reply. We do have an outstanding state school nearby. It has been our aspiration for us to get into a grammar school and hence trying our best. We are ready for a move closer to school incase we find a place.
Last edited by Aishwarya on Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Grammar schools are state schools. You need to consider this very carefully.
What about friends, family, jobs?
Do you have other children? If so, what about their schools. We have moved a lot because if my husband’s job. Once we had children, this became different, they had to leave fsmilar surroundings, schools and their friends. We had no choice, but it did affect them
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Aishwarya wrote:
hermanmunster wrote:I appreciate you may want a grammar school but there are other schools in Nottingham and some do very well - have you looked at you local school? It can be quite disruptive to suddenly move to another area just because the local one doesn't have grammar schools - it can affect the whole family, younger children who may not pass the 11 plus and parents who have to commute further / find new jobs

Thanks for the reply. We do have an outstanding state school nearby. It has been our aspiration for us to get into a grammar school and hence trying our best. We are ready for a move closer to school incase we find a place.
Are you in catchment for the outstanding school? which one is it? honestly may not be worth moving to go to a grammar school
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Aishwarya wrote:Thanks for the reply. We do have an outstanding state school nearby. It has been our aspiration for us to get into a grammar school and hence trying our best. We are ready for a move closer to school incase we find a place.
Seriously stay where you are - there is absolutely nothing special about a GS. I've taught in both comps and a GS - they all sit the same exams and teaching is often better in a comp.
Nella

Post by Nella »

Hi,
If you are planning to move to Birmingham then I think it would be a good idea to focus on one of the catchment areas and then have that school as your first choice. With the catchment areas, the closer to the school you live the greater the chance of securing a place (assuming your son achieves the priority score). I think you have to be resident in the catchment area when the CAF is submitted. The entrance test is in September so it doesn’t give you long between finding out the result and submitting the CAF (October). Do you want a single sex or a mixed school for your son? That would also influence where you need to live.

You would also be wise to find a back up (non grammar) choice that you are happy with that you would live close enough for your son to be guaranteed entry, just in case he doesn’t get a high enough score.

Lots to think about and plan for over the next 15 months.... also a primary school place for year 6 and any other siblings... Not sure any school is worth the upheaval of transplanting a whole family....
Aishwarya

Post by Aishwarya »

hermanmunster wrote:
Aishwarya wrote:

Are you in catchment for the outstanding school? which one is it? honestly may not be worth moving to go to a grammar school
We are closer to West Bridgford School. Thank you for your insight. I will certainly give thought about it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now