Possibility of getting into Bham Grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Aishwarya

Re: Possibility of getting into Bham Grammar schools

Post by Aishwarya »

Nella wrote:Hi,
If you are planning to move to Birmingham then I think it would be a good idea to focus on one of the catchment areas and then have that school as your first choice. With the catchment areas, the closer to the school you live the greater the chance of securing a place (assuming your son achieves the priority score). I think you have to be resident in the catchment area when the CAF is submitted. The entrance test is in September so it doesn’t give you long between finding out the result and submitting the CAF (October). Do you want a single sex or a mixed school for your son? That would also influence where you need to live.

You would also be wise to find a back up (non grammar) choice that you are happy with that you would live close enough for your son to be guaranteed entry, just in case he doesn’t get a high enough score.

Lots to think about and plan for over the next 15 months.... also a primary school place for year 6 and any other siblings... Not sure any school is worth the upheaval of transplanting a whole family....
Hi Nella,

Yes, we thought about moving, but because that is not possible at the current situation, We are also trying Essex that has doesnt have catchment boundaries as it gives us a chance. I also have a backup chance with our local comprehensive.
ToadMum

Re: Possibility of getting into Bham Grammar schools

Post by ToadMum »

Aishwarya wrote:
Nella wrote:Hi,
If you are planning to move to Birmingham then I think it would be a good idea to focus on one of the catchment areas and then have that school as your first choice. With the catchment areas, the closer to the school you live the greater the chance of securing a place (assuming your son achieves the priority score). I think you have to be resident in the catchment area when the CAF is submitted. The entrance test is in September so it doesn’t give you long between finding out the result and submitting the CAF (October). Do you want a single sex or a mixed school for your son? That would also influence where you need to live.

You would also be wise to find a back up (non grammar) choice that you are happy with that you would live close enough for your son to be guaranteed entry, just in case he doesn’t get a high enough score.

Lots to think about and plan for over the next 15 months.... also a primary school place for year 6 and any other siblings... Not sure any school is worth the upheaval of transplanting a whole family....
Hi Nella,

Yes, we thought about moving, but because that is not possible at the current situation, We are also trying Essex that has doesnt have catchment boundaries as it gives us a chance. I also have a backup chance with our local comprehensive.
Just to point out, the only boys' grammar currently having no catchment area conditions is Colchester Royal Grammar School. All the others do, as well as, at WHSB and SHSB, priority going to those attracting Pupil Premium within each category.

If a school wants to change its admissions policy, it has to run a public consultation starting very nearly two years ahead of the September of entry to which the policy refers - which, for 2022 entry, means this coming autumn/ winter - and the policy must be determined (i.e. set) by the end of February. There is nothing to stop CRGS introducing a similar PP and / or catchment priority as the other grammar schools (and the former would be a requirement if it was to be seeking further public funding to expand places, for example). Certainly there is very little chance of the population of Colchester objecting to such a change, so if the school did decide to go down this route, the adoption of the new policy would be as near as darnit a forgone conclusion.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now