This Sep Exam Status

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

imranb

This Sep Exam Status

Post by imranb »

I have been hearing from grapevine that the 12th Sep Exam might be delayed. Has anyone else heard the same? Is that a possibility?
mad?

Re: This Sep Exam Status

Post by mad? »

Latest government guidance its here. Some other areas are already delaying the exam, so I would have thought it quite likely.
mad?
imranb

Post by imranb »

Thanks
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Nothing confirmed yet. Personally I think delaying would be the wrong thing to. I think it would be advisable to do in September if possible. Things could be much worse around the new date and the exam would be impossible, what happens then?

I tnink some of the reasoning behind delaying is due to missed schooling. However majority of schools do not teach kids for 11+. The people who benefit most from a delay are the private school kids and the tutored kids. Those kids who the delay is intended to help
Would be disadvantaged further.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

nervousmom wrote:Nothing confirmed yet. Personally I think delaying would be the wrong thing to. I think it would be advisable to do in September if possible. Things could be much worse around the new date and the exam would be impossible, what happens then?

I tnink some of the reasoning behind delaying is due to missed schooling. However majority of schools do not teach kids for 11+. The people who benefit most from a delay are the private school kids and the tutored kids. Those kids who the delay is intended to help
Would be disadvantaged further.
I have concerns about delaying the exam too - by November we will be in the usual respiratory virus season and in the midst of Covid it could be chaotic. Early September may be the best week of the autumn.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The weather as well. Dd1 took her 11 plus exam in Herts second week of November 2009 and it was pouring with rain. There was no parking anywhere near the school so we had a long walk in torrential rain. All the students had to do the exam in wet clothing.

Like you I think they should leave the exams where they are as the weather and Covid could well get worse each week they delay it. DG
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

If its deemed safe for students to return to school in September then the exam must be sat then.

There will obviously need to be some changes regarding dropping and collecting, but by nature, an exam environment means people are apart.

Invigilators could wear masks, gloves etc. Sanitisers at each entrance. Windows open where possible, stagger toilet visits.

Ideally more venues should be sort, to ensure less people congregating.

Delaying to later in autumn, leaves it open for more children to then be suffering other seasonal illnesses. Plus the covid situation could be worse and the exam can't be sat, that would create a bigger problem.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

There is also the very real problem of the actual GCSE/A level exams being run in Oct/Nov. At the time when nobody is on study leave. I know that 11+ is usually on Saturday but with social distancing, the venues traditionally used in schools will hold an average third less candidates. I think trying to sort this all out, and open schools safely, by Sept 12th may be too challenging (especially as Birmingham is one of the areas being touted as the next Leicester/Manchester). Interesting times ahead.
imranb

Post by imranb »

Just emailed the foundation office of KE to check if they are considering postponing the 12th Sep exam.
Had a reply in exactly 2 minutes saying – “The test is scheduled to take place on 12th September
Impressed with their promptness in replying I must say. :-)
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes....but that doesn’t say it will take place on the 12th, just that that is currently the day it is scheduled!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now