Offers for Sept 2021 allocations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nella

Re: Offers for Sept 2021 allocations

Post by Nella »

Hi blaart, I hope that your friend’s child will get a place. I know from friends this year that the furthest distance for KEFW on the initial allocation has increased by (at least) 800m - and that’s the initial allocation. Last year they would have waited for over a month for the place to become available.

I know it’s an anxious time but I didn’t hear of anyone in the catchment areas who wasn’t eventually offered a place last year. The increase in the priority score will help the children living at the extremities this year.

Last year the information regarding the furthest child was posted on the Grammar School website- it’s worth checking later for that as it will give an indication of how far the initial allocation distance has stretched.

Edited to add:

The information is starting to be posted: https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... and-offers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

janet.redman wrote:Do we have any info on cut-off scores yet for todays offers?
Not yet - will be on this page when published https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... and-offers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

blaart wrote:
Nella wrote:Hi blaart

We were in the same situation last year (too far on initial allocation for catchment school).
We had to wait for about 3 weeks until the council had received acceptance/ rejections. Quite a few children will be holding state and private school places. Once private school places are taken up this will release more grammar places.

Friends with children who lived further away from us had to wait a couple of weeks longer but were eventually offered places.

Your friend just needs to be patient- easier said than done!
Thanks Nella.

While your general point holds, I dont think my friend will be successful as Tyseley is at the extremity of the CHB boundaries (7.2km), while last year's cut-off was about 5km from memory.
Blaart, don't forget that those distances are on 1st march. Places can move by many places. I would say if they are in the first 40 of the waiting list places they have a good chance of getting in.
janet.redman

Post by janet.redman »

Some of the cut offs are now on the Birmingham Grammar Schools site
Boots182

Post by Boots182 »

My DS was offered Bishop Vesey with score of 226 non-PP.

Very happy house here!
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

blaart wrote:
mh1 wrote:
I wonder if ALL in catchment Non PP (i.e cat 4) children were offered place for all the Birmingham Grammars last year and whether possibly they will be for this year.
A friend's son in Tyseley (non-PP) was not offered a place at the only GS in catchment (CHB) despite scoring 248. Deeply unfair.
Do they know their waiting list place yet?

There will be movement from the waiting list, so fingers crossed they will get their place
janet.redman

Post by janet.redman »

More cut-offs are now published. Still waiting for KE Handsworth Boys, BV and SCGSG.

We've had an offer letter direct from SCGSG today. It feel so much more real to get direct contact from the school with some dates on when things will happen :-)
Nella

Post by Nella »

nervousmom wrote:
blaart wrote:
A friend's son in Tyseley (non-PP) was not offered a place at the only GS in catchment (CHB) despite scoring 248. Deeply unfair.
Do they know their waiting list place yet?

There will be movement from the waiting list, so fingers crossed they will get their place
Last year the waiting lists were released by the council on the 23rd March. My child had an offer at the catchment school on the same day. Friends who lived further away had to wait another 2-3 weeks for the offer of a place. I think the main factor will be the number of children accepting private school places. Sometimes I think it takes a while for parents to decline the state school place, but at the end of the day a child can only go to one school!
Fingers crossed for your friend’s son that parents are quick with their decisions. I think the private schools have been affected by economic uncertainty during the pandemic; however the vaccine is providing a glimmer of hope.
janet.redman

Post by janet.redman »

Birmingham admissions have this morning said that cut-off for SCGSG is 215
lisam

Post by lisam »

does anyone know the pp cut off scores for sutton girls and QMHS and WGHS?