KES Birmingham Music Scholarship

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cokib

KES Birmingham Music Scholarship

Post by Cokib »

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is keeping well and safe in this uncertain times? My son’s applied to the King Edward School Birmingham for next year 2021 admissions and has also applied for a music scholarship. He plays the piano. I was wondering if anyone here has any idea what to expect with the auditioning. Will they be provided with pieces to play or do they have to come up with their own choice of pieces to play?

Many thanks for your anticipated contribution.
KenR

Re: KES Birmingham Music Scholarship

Post by KenR »

You need to be brilliant musician to get the music scholarship at KES - even grade 8 with distinction may not be enough. Previous beneficiaries of the KES music scholarships have included the leader of the National Youth Orchestra!

As regards audition, they would normally expect the individual to play recent exam or recital pieces.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I have a very faint memory that someone in our daughter's year might have got a KEHS music scholarship with something like grade 4 oboe or bassoon or similar but I may be wrong, that's a long time ago now! Obviously for something popular like violin or piano you're talking diploma level.
Cokib

Post by Cokib »

Thanks for the information. I guess we can only try and see. He plays the piano and Trombone so maybe we should consider the Trombone as the first instrument.
KenR

Post by KenR »

https://www.oldeds.kes.org.uk/news/nyo.html

Music has always been very strong at KES. The above link shows some of the previous Music scholarship recipients in 2010. My DD was at the Girls school at about that time (music is shared between KES and KEHS) and played flute in the symphony orchestra. Very high standard of playing.

Worth a try, but try to manage his expectations.
Cokib

Post by Cokib »

Wow thanks for the link @KenR. Very helpful and informative. I agree managing his expectation is key, not just on the scholarship but the exams overall. Thanks a lot.
oobellaoo

Post by oobellaoo »

Does any one know for the music scholarship what is more important? Certificate from ABRSM, audition or rewards from international competition/festival?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now