SEN and Birmingham 11+ exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11plus123

SEN and Birmingham 11+ exam

Post by 11plus123 »

For asd/ adhd/ dyslexia children,
What provision can be made available in Birmingham/ Warwickshire 11 plus exam? Anyone had any experience?
Extra time, priority ( which category they come under on current admission criteria)? , would they come under looked after children CAT1 or 2?
Any input will help! Thanks.
ToadMum

Re: SEN and Birmingham 11+ exam

Post by ToadMum »

11plus123 wrote:For asd/ adhd/ dyslexia children,
What provision can be made available in Birmingham/ Warwickshire 11 plus exam? Anyone had any experience?
Extra time, priority ( which category they come under on current admission criteria)? , would they come under looked after children CAT1 or 2?
Any input will help! Thanks.
Looked After Children means DC who are in care / were adopted from care. Are you thinking of an EHCP? Parents of DC with an EHCP can ask for a specific school best suited to the DC's needs to be named on the document, which (more or less) guarantees them a place, but for a grammar school to be 'named', the DC would still have to show the appropriate academic ability.

Does your DC have an EHCP currently?

The Birmingham grammar schools website gives details about how to request special arrangements for the test and the individual schools' websites will show their admissions policies. The arrangements for 2022 entry will have been added recently.

https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... rangements
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11plus123

Post by 11plus123 »

Thanks. That’s for a friend.

The child is thriving and she understands that the child need to get qualifying score, just wanted to know which category the child comes under if at all they get QS.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think unless they have an EHCP they will be in the category depending on whether they are in catchment or not also depending on whether they are PP or not.
thirdtimemum

Post by thirdtimemum »

I found Birmingham awful at supporting my daughter with dyslexia. Despite having a diagnosis they refused to allow her extra time, refused coloured paper, and refused to ensure she understood the instructions. They said she could use an overlay which would be no good as would take her extra time to use. She also turned up on the day to find her paper was oversized which actually impeded her and was not requested. All the things I requested had been specifically stated in her report which I forwarded to them. Had she been near the cut off I would've appealled however she wasn't and if I'm honest I don't think it would've been right for her. Ultimately we decided to look at a private school even though we don't earn a huge wage we felt it was worth it. It was 100% the right decision for us. She is flying with the smaller class sizes.
Not sure if you are considering but Walsall were more supportive but still not great. This was 4 years ago as DD in now year 9
11plus123

Post by 11plus123 »

hermanmunster wrote:I think unless they have an EHCP they will be in the category depending on whether they are in catchment or not also depending on whether they are PP or not.

Yes. The child is on EHCP. So which CAT the child will be in and how about any extra time on exam etc. Thanks.

The child has all formal diagnosis report, EHCP, SCHOOL assessment reports all in place.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Which school is named in the EHCP?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If a pupil has an EHCP, the process is different- for a grammar school, they still have to prove themselves suitable for a grammar school education, but the application is handled separately and the parent does not submit a CAF in the usual way. The SENDCo at the primary school should be able to explain the process, which has its own timetable.

Pupils accepted at a school on an EHCP are guaranteed the place, so do not need to be considered under any of the oversubscription criteria at the same time.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ToadMum wrote:If a pupil has an EHCP, the process is different- for a grammar school, they still have to prove themselves suitable for a grammar school education, but the application is handled separately and the parent does not submit a CAF in the usual way. The SENDCo at the primary school should be able to explain the process, which has its own timetable.

Pupils accepted at a school on an EHCP are guaranteed the place, so do not need to be considered under any of the oversubscription criteria at the same time.
Reckoned you would know the answer !! :D
11plus123

Post by 11plus123 »

ToadMum wrote:If a pupil has an EHCP, the process is different- for a grammar school, they still have to prove themselves suitable for a grammar school education, but the application is handled separately and the parent does not submit a CAF in the usual way. The SENDCo at the primary school should be able to explain the process, which has its own timetable.

Thanks all.

So do they not write 11+ Exam? The primary sendco can give relevant letters that the child is capable and EHCP can state needs but what if the child is capable of passing the test and getting qualifying score? Can they choose to take the test?
Sorry for so many questions.

Or if they don’t write the test, with EHCP AND naming the school, ( of course proof from primary that the child is capable) are they gauranteed a place?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now