Mandarin in Yr 7

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
imranb

Mandarin in Yr 7

Post by imranb »

KEA are asking us to decide our language choices for DS by 15th March. The choices are any 2 out of German/French/Mandarin. Sold on German (as older DS at CHB loves it), but in 2 minds about either Mandarin/French.

With such a short notice to decide, we are struggling to make a call. DS is above average in everything, and has a soft spot for engaging in anything out of the box.

Can I ask if parents with older boys at KEA share their thoughts on learning mandarin, and whether the teaching support is good enough in that area? Also, if there are any online resources like introductory videos for kids to get a feel of what they are really signing up for?

French is an easy option, but Mandarin sounds more exciting. The little man is cool either ways.
care1960bear

Re: Mandarin in Yr 7

Post by care1960bear »

My son is in Yr 8 at KEA.
He chose French and Mandarin. Both teachers are supportive and make learning interesting for the kids. Always plenty of work to be getting on with even during Remote Learning
imranb

Re: Mandarin in Yr 7

Post by imranb »

care1960bear wrote:My son is in Yr 8 at KEA.
He chose French and Mandarin. Both teachers are supportive and make learning interesting for the kids. Always plenty of work to be getting on with even during Remote Learning
Thank you very much. That is reassuring.