B’ham waiting lists 2021

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Samura

B’ham waiting lists 2021

Post by Samura »

Hi, I’m new to this forum but have been following it actively since last year for help with DD1. Everyone seems so helpful and supportive of each other, it’s been really reassuring for me at times.

Would anyone have any advice/hope for OOC 207 non PP W/L 45 for KEHGS (girls)? When we got her result, we were so happy she passed as she wasn’t tutored, but at the same time knew it was highly unlikely she’d be offered a grammar school place. She has been offered her local comp which we are happy with but I’ve found out today she’s 45th on the WL for HGS which has made me think there may be a possibility?

Sorry for the waffle, I’ve searched everywhere on the forum but can’t seem to find any info on how last year’s WL moved, especially with it being the first year of catchment areas, and little info on Handsworth Girls compared to other KE schools
Gemilib

Re: B’ham waiting lists 2021

Post by Gemilib »

Hi ,
My DD scored 211 ( non PP ) we live in catchment area of Camphill school . However her score is not enough to get a place in CHGS .
She is in waiting list of
CHGS 67
Handsworth 4
Sutton girls 37

Fingers crossed .
Hope ur DD gets a place as well . But you rightly said that there is no thread regarding waiting lists for last year .

Best wishes
Nella

Post by Nella »

Hi Samura and welcome to the forum.

Congratulations to your daughter for scoring above the qualifying score. It’s a great achievement.

You will probably have seen from the quietness of the Birmingham forum that very little information has been posted and it was similar last year. I think in previous years there has been a lot of movement in the waiting lists but I think, because of the catchment areas, a lot of parents will have listed their catchment school first on the CAF and hence there has been very little waiting list movement. Waiting list places are mainly dependent upon children taking up private school places and then there is a ripple effect.

This forum has been a good guide in previous years (when there was lots of movement) but it might be worth emailing the foundation office to ask how many places the waiting list went down to last year. If they are willing to give you this information it will give you a (very) rough indication of your daughter’s chances.

How far away do you live from Handsworth Girl’s? I see you are out of the catchment area. If the waiting list does reach your daughter’s position, are you within reasonable commuting distance? I have Twin 1 at the catchment grammar and Twin 2 at the local comp. Twin 2 arrived home yesterday just about as the bell was going at the grammar school. Twin 2 had been at home over an hour before Twin 1 arrived back! It’s really important to consider the commute! There may be a lot of positive points associated with the local school.
janet.redman

Post by janet.redman »

My daughter has a place at SCGSG but waiting on a friend. She scored 213 and is 16th on waiting list so would be keen to get updates on movement on this list as they’d love to go together.
Samura

Post by Samura »

Thanks for the responses.

Gemilib, congratulations to your DD, all the best for getting an offer to your preferred school, hope it all goes ur way :) Just out of interest, what school did she get offered on March 1st?

Nella, thank u for the advice, I hadn’t thought about how the catchment areas would have affected WL movement! I’ll email FO to see what info they can provide.
We are approx 11000 m from HGS, we won’t be disheartened if she doesn’t get offered but I didn’t know wether I should be raising hope of getting in at all, seeing as in previous years it may have been likely. We have to move house anyway (need to upsize soon!) so if she did get offered HGS we would move, wouldn’t expect DD to do the commute.

Janet.redman, congrats to your DD for SCGSG!! Great achievement! And good luck to your friend as well. I agree it would be very useful for other parents to see any updates for WL movements, maybe it would give some hope for parents like me :)
Samura

Post by Samura »

Just to update, I’ve received an email back from FO, very short and concise, but for HGS, “the school received 46 refusals for 2020 entry”.

Not as much as I was expecting/hoping but I hope this helps other parents, it may give an indication for other schools as well.

If any parents could share their experiences of WL movements from last year that would be great! Also updates from this year would be just as significant.

Good luck to all parents and their children :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Samura wrote:Just to update, I’ve received an email back from FO, very short and concise, but for HGS, “the school received 46 refusals for 2020 entry”.

Not as much as I was expecting/hoping but I hope this helps other parents, it may give an indication for other schools as well.

If any parents could share their experiences of WL movements from last year that would be great! Also updates from this year would be just as significant.

Good luck to all parents and their children :)
Worth thinking about the numbers - there are a number of places at KEHS / EHS to be filled - many of these will have a GS place in B'ham, so this is likely to be the amount of movement in the system - it can just take time and varies from year to year
Nella

Post by Nella »

Samura wrote:Just to update, I’ve received an email back from FO, very short and concise, but for HGS, “the school received 46 refusals for 2020 entry”.
Hmm... 46 refusals- maybe that means they were able to offer 46 places from the waiting list?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Nella wrote:
Hmm... 46 refusals- maybe that means they were able to offer 46 places from the waiting list?
Suspect it means that - they may of course have gone further down the list than 46 as not everyone takes up the offer when it comes round, they may have already decided they prefer the school they have
Nella

Post by Nella »

Would be interesting to see how many refusals the other schools had
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now