September 2021 test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Intense

September 2021 test

Post by Intense »

Given children sitting the test in September 2021 will have had 2 school years of disrupted learning, does anyone have any thoughts on whether this is likely to be considered in setting the exam this year?
scary mum

Re: September 2021 test

Post by scary mum »

Given that everyone will get in the same position, and if the exams are standardised I don't think there would be any need to change them? Or do the Birmingham ones cover specific topics taught in years 4 & 5 that might have been missed (I'm not from your area)?
scary mum
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

As you say, all kids will be in the same position. However a lot of the 11+ work seems to be year 6 work!
Nella

Post by Nella »

nervousmom wrote:As you say, all kids will be in the same position. However a lot of the 11+ work seems to be year 6 work!
The various CEM type publications might contain year 6 work; however I think it is worth noting that as the CEM don’t publish papers it’s unknown what is actually in them.

Intense- my child sat the test for the Birmingham grammars and is now in yr 7. I asked my child after what it was like and the reply was that it was far easier than the few commercial CEM type tests they had tried at home and they didn’t contain anything that hadn’t been covered at school.

My advice is to practice multiple choice questions and NVR - answering in this format will be the only new thing. Reading lots and knowing the times tables also important. With the catchment areas and the priority score it isn’t necessary to do bonkers amount of preparation to get a crazy high score.
SVK

Post by SVK »

My DC did the test last year, he said the math part is easier than the cgp mock papers and mostly topics already covered at school. There were some ratio and time questions, but loads of divisions, fraction, percentages and decimals. I think the math section had been made easier last year to take into account of school disruption, not sure it would be the same again this year.
The NVR and English are just as hard he said. So, my advice to 2021 candidates is to do lots of reading and learn as many vocabularies as possible.
Good luck, 5 more months to go! :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now