Moving House

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest2014

Moving House

Post by Guest2014 »

We currently live in the catchment area of a grammar school (have done since 2018). My son is in year 5 and will submit a secondary transfer form in Oct 2021. However, we are planning on moving to a new house (out of catchment area) in Nov/Dec 2021.
Does anyone know if my current or new address will be used to allocate a school place?
mitasol

Re: Moving House

Post by mitasol »

You really need to speak to the LA. Usually the date is set at CAF submission but you would need to inform the LA of a change of address so you definitely don’t want to caught short. In all likelihood it will be ok but you really need to get that confirmation. Preferably in writing.

Edit to add - You may also want to check what rules apply after offer day in case you end up on the waiting list.
Guest2014

Post by Guest2014 »

Thanks, I have emailed Bham Ed Dept. If anyone else has some relevant info' please post.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

it is an unusual situation and not one we have come across - let us know when you hear back as then we'll know in the future
KenR

Post by KenR »

It's probably best to contact either the particular school or the KE Academy Trust rather than the LA. For KE Grammars, entries from mid year 7 onwards are handled directly by the schools rather than the LA. I suspect there won't be an issue so long as the journey time to the school from your new address is not unreasonable.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The enquiry is about main round, though, not a mid year application. As in, applying with a higher criterion address than they will actually be living at when allocations are made and when (if) their DS joins the school in 2022.

Moving into catchment (and therefore moving up the criteria) after the closing date for applications would normally see the original address used until after the March 1st allocation, but sometimes with a short window for updating one's address and still being counted as an on-time application. It is possible that a reverse of this might apply where the move is down the criteria - that the change of address would be applied as from the date of the move. In any case, the rules for applying will include the requirement to inform the LA (old and new, if applicable).

If this is in the Birmingham area, is the new address in the catchment for a different grammar school? If so, then just put that one as your first preference and the current one as your second, if you would prefer your DS to go there, rather than to a non-selective school in your new area, followed by new area non-selective(s) and possibly your sure-thing current area non-selective last as a fallback, in case the move falls through.

The concern would be that however long you have lived at your current address, moving to a lower criterion address almost immediately after applying doesn't look much different, really, from the family that takes a short-term rental in catchment, applies, then moves back to their original OOC area.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Nella

Post by Nella »

I’ve no idea how rigorous Birmingham are with address checks. We have never been asked for proof of address- I assume that they go with the electoral roll/ address that the primary school has?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now