11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ali A

Asking for Advise

Post by Ali A »

Hi fellow parents and moderators

Due to job change we will be moving to West midlands before srtart of Year 5

which area would be best to reside in to multiply chances of garmmer school

I am looking for properties in Wolverhampton with the understanding that

1) I can apply for KE schools birmingham Out of Catchment Area and Bishop vesley
2)Can can sit for Queen Mary walsall
3)Haberdashes grammer school Newport
4) all the schools above do they have a same test date and exam pattern
5)can we self prepare or experienced parents suggest getting some help and recommend support

is this a better approach or to reside in Birmingham in one of the catchment areas and try for same schools
KenR

Re: Asking for Advise

Post by KenR »

I wouldn't base the decision solely on which location maximises the opportunity of a grammar admission. Commuter journeys can be **** in the West Midlands for either work or school.

It's equally important to have a choice of a good comprehensive backup schools. Most of the 11+ exams across the West Midlands are are tough and many very bright children don't always reach the pass mark or meet the criteria.

In respect of the KE Foundation Grammars; the new catchment admissions criteria has made it very difficult for children living out of catchment(OOC) to get a place. For example for Five Ways and both Camp Hill grammars I believe that no children OOC were offered a place on the 1st March and that even some In catchment children living at the catchment extremity failed to get a place. Slightly better for KEA and both Handsworth grammars but still difficult. So Wolverhampton would not be a great choice if a KE Foundation grammar was your preferred option.

I personally would choose an area that had a reason work commute and where you will enjoy living rather than solely on grammar school access opportunities.
HammerHHH

Post by HammerHHH »

Ali A wrote:Hi fellow parents and moderators

Due to job change we will be moving to West midlands before srtart of Year 5

which area would be best to reside in to multiply chances of garmmer school

I am looking for properties in Wolverhampton with the understanding that

1) I can apply for KE schools birmingham Out of Catchment Area and Bishop vesley
2)Can can sit for Queen Mary walsall
3)Haberdashes grammer school Newport
4) all the schools above do they have a same test date and exam pattern
5)can we self prepare or experienced parents suggest getting some help and recommend support

is this a better approach or to reside in Birmingham in one of the catchment areas and try for same schools
No child is going to commute from Wolverhampton to Vesey on a daily basis without feeling a huge strain. The public transport links are not great and the commute by car harsh as a result of heavy traffic most of the year. It’s better to be in a KE catchment area and perhaps near Walsall so QM is a possibility.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I think Great Barr/Barr Beacon area is a good base for QM, Vesey and HGS.
Barr Beacon School and Streetly comps aren't too far.

Think carefully about commutes, where green buses run and what the secondary school provision is. For example, catchment for comps in Sutton is small and competitive for most. You have Vesey and Aston that side too.

Please think hard though. I was at a school event and heard of a family moving to be by QM who did not get in. You cannot base your decision on grammars alone. Don't put a child through a long commute either. Good transport lunks are essential as 7 years is a long time.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now