Help, been offered both Queen Mary's Grammar & Adams Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nishagill

Help, been offered both Queen Mary's Grammar & Adams Grammar

Post by Nishagill »

My son has been offered both. I'm confused.
He has 3 friends from his school going to Adams but none to QMGS. Also there's a school bus to Adams and not to QM. I don't know what do, esp as I can't go & see the school etc. Any advice/ thoughts please..?
hermanmunster

Re: Help, been offered both Queen Mary's Grammar & Adams Gra

Post by hermanmunster »

Which did you put higher on the list? (presume you have been on the waiting list for one of them)

Think about why you put them in that order in the first place and then if you can't decided, go for the one that is easier to get to (actually very important)
Nishagill

Post by Nishagill »

I could get to both. But would have to drive to walsall from wolverhampton. Is any one school better than the other? He two close friends are going Adams so I am torn as I put down walsall first
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Depends how you define "better" - I am sure they both have very good results, maybe they offer different subjects but then that depends on interests of the child, maybe different sports etc

I only know Adams so can't really compare them, suspect if you were on the WL then you have got used to the idea of Adams

You could ask your son - he may well have an opinion.
Nishagill

Post by Nishagill »

Thank you, I was just thinking if one school had better culture than the other?

Tbh, I just want my son to be happy and I'm terrified of making the wrong decision!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

What do you mean by "culture" and how would you measure it, one person might like a school - others might hate it
?

The problem is that not many people have experience of both schools, it would be great if someone had and then they could give you some more advice.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I have a son in year 10 at QMGS and it's been a very good school for him.

His twin attends a Grammar with more travelling involved.

I don't know your son or Adams, but, I would always recommend the nearest or the one with good independent travel options.

During the pandemic we have had to collect our children from school in the middle of the day or just after they've got into school, a total of 10 days when school asked us to collect in person, due to self isolations. Children weren't allowed to travel independently. There are also events, clubs etc to factor in regarding ease of travel and timings, so factor in getting to and from school quickly and easily, as 5 or 7 years is a long time!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now