Car share to Handsworth Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: Car share to Handsworth Grammar

Post by hermanmunster »

it is tricky - looks like it takes ages to get just a small distance, despite having been to school in B'ham I am clueless about where everything is - is there any better route on the train? or does that lead to an awkward bus trip at the other end?
2Socks

Post by 2Socks »

I'm failing to see the issue - googlemaps suggests the train to Birmingham centre, then the 101 bus to the school - looks like it takes about 45 - 50 minutes??
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

2Socks wrote:I'm failing to see the issue - googlemaps suggests the train to Birmingham centre, then the 101 bus to the school - looks like it takes about 45 - 50 minutes??
Some people aren't very keen on their DC catching normal public transport, though, especially if it isn't something that they haven't been used to? Although I would far rather that ours used a service - if available - which will only make them a bit late if they have to wait for the next one, over a 'school' service which won't be along again until the next morning, if they miss it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

that does sound a possible route, suspect there may be many children using it - may be worth asking locally of there are any that your DC can get to know beforehand

and yes agree re being able to use non-school services, I used a school service but we all knew the options to get home if there was a problem with that service / we missed it etc
Bettyspaghetti

Post by Bettyspaghetti »

I don't know if this helps but my daughter travels to Handsworth Girls from Olton. It is a very quick and straightforward train journey into Snow Hill, then a short bus journey (5-10 minutes) to Handsworth. Olton is on the same railway line as Acocks Green. The bus stop is next to Snow Hill Station so there is no travelling through the city centre.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Bettyspaghetti wrote:I don't know if this helps but my daughter travels to Handsworth Girls from Olton. It is a very quick and straightforward train journey into Snow Hill, then a short bus journey (5-10 minutes) to Handsworth. Olton is on the same railway line as Acocks Green. The bus stop is next to Snow Hill Station so there is no travelling through the city centre.
That sounds like good option expect there will be others doing the same journey.

Wort trying the journey out during the summer so DC becomes familiar with it
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now