A few questions from a newbie

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
New 11+ mum

A few questions from a newbie

Post by New 11+ mum »

My son and I are very new to the 11+ process, he's entered for the exam in September this year at Haberdashers Adams, Newport. I'm particularly interested to hear from any parents of children who have taken the test for Adams in recent years and passed well enough to get a place. What sort of percentage marks were your boys getting in their timed practise tests of 2 x 45 minutes? We're using a mixture of CGP, Bond, Letts and Leap papers, is there any others that you'd recommend? Many thanks in advance.
Tryingtobeuseful

Re: A few questions from a newbie

Post by Tryingtobeuseful »

Hello

My son sat and passed the Adams exam last year, another going for it this year so hope I can help

People we've spoke to have said 75% minimum, my son got 79% out of catchment last year and was offered a place. I think got to aim for minimum 75% and any higher is a bonus, especially if out of area.

If living in Telford and Wrekin/Newport catchment area there are sufficient places to get in with the minimum mark, after that it's highest marks first come, first served

Unsure what lowest marks offered last year were for out of area places

Would recommend searching for some mock tests in a similar setting to get child used to timing, environment etc.. can be quite different sitting a test in a random place to in our homes, and any practice at accustomising to random surroundings with a random clock / invigilators can only help the little ones

If child is hitting a high percentage then nothing left to do and is almost too late to be cramming tutors in, but many offer mock tests on a weekly basis (physically or online) which may help get the child into the swing of things

All the best
New 11+ mum

Re: A few questions from a newbie

Post by New 11+ mum »

Tryingtobeuseful wrote:Hello

My son sat and passed the Adams exam last year, another going for it this year so hope I can help

People we've spoke to have said 75% minimum, my son got 79% out of catchment last year and was offered a place. I think got to aim for minimum 75% and any higher is a bonus, especially if out of area.

If living in Telford and Wrekin/Newport catchment area there are sufficient places to get in with the minimum mark, after that it's highest marks first come, first served

Unsure what lowest marks offered last year were for out of area places

Would recommend searching for some mock tests in a similar setting to get child used to timing, environment etc.. can be quite different sitting a test in a random place to in our homes, and any practice at accustomising to random surroundings with a random clock / invigilators can only help the little ones

If child is hitting a high percentage then nothing left to do and is almost too late to be cramming tutors in, but many offer mock tests on a weekly basis (physically or online) which may help get the child into the swing of things

All the best

Thanks so much for your reply. You've had a stressful couple of years with two lads going through the 11+ process! We only started working on 11+ workbooks in May this year so haven't had a lot of time compared to some it seems, our lad has been getting between 85% - 92% on recent tests so I hope he'll be OK... we've got an in person mock booked for 2 weeks time so hopefully that will be more realistic compared to sitting in his bedroom doing them. He's done a couple of online ones with other kids but it's not the same, although it does give an element of competition. What score did your son get out of interest? I didn't think they gave parents a percentage score, but it's good to hear that you got one for your son. We're out of catchment like you, it would be a 45 minute bus ride but hopefully it would be worth it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now