Birmingham 2021 Marks & Preference of school.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Serawill

Re: Birmingham 2021 Marks & Preference of school.

Post by Serawill »

Thanks hermanmunster for responding to my post.

Gov.Uk compares and gives the progress 8 scores for 2018/2019,data not available for 2019/20, 2020/21 due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
UK Grammar schools League tables 2021(Britannia-study.com) gives progress 8 scores and ranks of all the grammar schools(don't know how they got it)?
My question is do we need to believe gov.uk scores, Sutton girls having better Progress 8 score compared to Wolverhampton? or League tables showing Wolverhampton girls having better rank and scores.
Is there any other criteria need to considered before making a decision as none of the above schools offering in person open days.

Thanks
Nella

Post by Nella »

Hi Serawill,

I wouldn’t get too strung up on results- by the time your daughter is at GCSE year lots may have changed with the schools.

If you are relocating I would base the decision on choosing a nice area to live and the closest school to that. If you have younger children then make sure you are close to a reasonable primary school and also a comprehensive school that you would be happy with.

Every child will have a different experience at school so one might love it, one might hate it and as another might think it’s just ok. Travelling distance would be the biggest factor if I was choosing a school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Serawill wrote:Thanks hermanmunster for responding to my post.

Gov.Uk compares and gives the progress 8 scores for 2018/2019,data not available for 2019/20, 2020/21 due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
UK Grammar schools League tables 2021(Britannia-study.com) gives progress 8 scores and ranks of all the grammar schools(don't know how they got it)?
My question is do we need to believe gov.uk scores, Sutton girls having better Progress 8 score compared to Wolverhampton? or League tables showing Wolverhampton girls having better rank and scores.
Is there any other criteria need to considered before making a decision as none of the above schools offering in person open days.

Thanks

I suspect that there is little between them - and places on tables can change round over the years - which one you choose really comes down to which area you would like to live in
JustOutside

Post by JustOutside »

ric1982 wrote:Hi all,
My DD scored 222 (outside catchment for Handsworth Grammer school for girls) so Cat 5 (not Pupil Premium).
On this https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... and-offers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it says for 2021 Intake (PP) "Cat 5, 212, 2049m". Does it mean my DD got chance/good chance? Sorry I am really confused how this works?
Thanks
The final, non-PP offers made for a place at Handsworth Girls on 1st March in the past two years were:
2021: Cat 5, 212, 2049m
2020: Cat 5, 214, 8208m

In Cat 5, the distance only matters where the scores are equal, so in 2021 there might have been one or more other children that scored 212, but if they lived further than 2049m from the school they missed out. (Actually, they probably got an offer from the waiting list!)

I would say that your DD's score of 222 is very likely to get her a place at Handsworth Girls. Well done to her!
New_tothis

Post by New_tothis »

Hi, new to this process. Can anyone suggest likelihood of DS being accepted to BVGS with 221?
Thanks in advance.
JustOutside

Post by JustOutside »

New_tothis wrote:Hi, new to this process. Can anyone suggest likelihood of DS being accepted to BVGS with 221?
Thanks in advance.
https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... and-offers

This link should have been in your DS's offer letter, and 221 was the cut-off score for 2021, and 223 for 2020, so it would seem that your DS *might* get a chance of an offer on 1st March, if the cut-off score is similar to last time.

If not, he has a very good chance of a waiting list place. I read elsewhere on here that someone was offered a late place at BVGS in October 2021, with a score of 214.
Moomin35

Post by Moomin35 »

Hi, my dd has scored 213 for Birmingham and 317 for Walsall. I’m hoping we might get in off the waiting list. I like both Sutton Girls and Queen Mary’s. I’m thinking of putting preference of Sutton then QM then local comp. My thinking is Sutton is less likely than QM but if we do get offered QM because I’ve listed Sutton as 1st choice we will still stay on waiting list so may have choice of both eventually. Whereas if I put QM first and Sutton 2nd, If we get a place at QM we won’t stay on the waiting list for Sutton. Is my thinking correct?
Both schools are pretty equal distance from home.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Moomin35 wrote:Hi, my dd has scored 213 for Birmingham and 317 for Walsall. I’m hoping we might get in off the waiting list. I like both Sutton Girls and Queen Mary’s. I’m thinking of putting preference of Sutton then QM then local comp. My thinking is Sutton is less likely than QM but if we do get offered QM because I’ve listed Sutton as 1st choice we will still stay on waiting list so may have choice of both eventually. Whereas if I put QM first and Sutton 2nd, If we get a place at QM we won’t stay on the waiting list for Sutton. Is my thinking correct?
Sounds right put them in the order you want so if you want to remain in consideration for Sutton then it needs to go top. Have you considered KE Handsworth or is that not so easy to get to?
ric1982

Post by ric1982 »

JustOutside wrote:
ric1982 wrote:Hi all,
My DD scored 222 (outside catchment for Handsworth Grammer school for girls) so Cat 5 (not Pupil Premium).
On this https://www.birminghamgrammarschools.or ... and-offers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; it says for 2021 Intake (PP) "Cat 5, 212, 2049m". Does it mean my DD got chance/good chance? Sorry I am really confused how this works?
Thanks
The final, non-PP offers made for a place at Handsworth Girls on 1st March in the past two years were:
2021: Cat 5, 212, 2049m
2020: Cat 5, 214, 8208m

In Cat 5, the distance only matters where the scores are equal, so in 2021 there might have been one or more other children that scored 212, but if they lived further than 2049m from the school they missed out. (Actually, they probably got an offer from the waiting list!)

I would say that your DD's score of 222 is very likely to get her a place at Handsworth Girls. Well done to her!
Thanks @JustOutside
Moomin35

Post by Moomin35 »

hermanmunster wrote:
Moomin35 wrote:Hi, my dd has scored 213 for Birmingham and 317 for Walsall. I’m hoping we might get in off the waiting list. I like both Sutton Girls and Queen Mary’s. I’m thinking of putting preference of Sutton then QM then local comp. My thinking is Sutton is less likely than QM but if we do get offered QM because I’ve listed Sutton as 1st choice we will still stay on waiting list so may have choice of both eventually. Whereas if I put QM first and Sutton 2nd, If we get a place at QM we won’t stay on the waiting list for Sutton. Is my thinking correct?
Sounds right put them in the order you want so if you want to remain in consideration for Sutton then it needs to go top. Have you considered KE Handsworth or is that not so easy to get to?

Thank you, handsworth is a bit too far unfortunately