Birmingham 2021 Marks & Preference of school.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SVK

Re: Birmingham 2021 Marks & Preference of school.

Post by SVK »

Wildfuture wrote:Baffles me that someone is applying for and happy for their young child to travel daily to and from Aston, or Sutton Coldfield, or Handsworth, or Walsall, or Bartley Green. Really sporadic, just for the sake of a grammar school. Are these schools really that good?
The state of comprehensive school in my area, not so much the concern about their academic achievement but more of physical safety of my children. Not everyone gets to live in a nice area with decent local school.
LChelt

Post by LChelt »

Sweetpie wrote:My son is in year 10 and goes to Aston he travels what’s wrong with that ? At least in grammar schools teachers make an effort unlike comprehensive schools
That is a really awful comment to make, my husband is a secondary school teacher in a comprehensive and I can tell he and his colleagues work really hard to give students the best education they can.
This forum is a place for help and support not such uneducated views!!
spooky101

Post by spooky101 »

Wildfuture wrote:Baffles me that someone is applying for and happy for their young child to travel daily to and from Aston, or Sutton Coldfield, or Handsworth, or Walsall, or Bartley Green. Really sporadic, just for the sake of a grammar school. Are these schools really that good?
Who knows! But yeah six choices requested by bham is overkill!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

spooky101 wrote:
You don't have to put 6, we only put one (weren't in B'ham ) - however there are lots of schools in B'ham and probably the only way to ensure that everyone gets some they would accept is to have 6 options
double_aces

Post by double_aces »

@wildfuture

Some of the things that baffle me paying £40 p/h for a personal trainer (my sister), buying designer handbags & spending hours cooking (& cleaning) when it only takes 30 mins eat meal...

Personally, I get why people want the best for their kids, academic or otherwise, and sometimes that involves long commutes. It that the best for the child, I guess time will tell for each of us, but we try to do the best with the available information.
The_Graduate

Post by The_Graduate »

DS scored 239 for Birmingham grammar 11 plus and 360 for QMGS.
spooky101

Post by spooky101 »

hermanmunster wrote:
spooky101 wrote:
You don't have to put 6, we only put one (weren't in B'ham ) - however there are lots of schools in B'ham and probably the only way to ensure that everyone gets some they would accept is to have 6 options
Ah - I did not realise this. I'd seen their examples on their site https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/2011 ... _7_place/2
and noticed all their examples had six choices. I'll trim the list a bit! Many thanks for that information.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

spooky101 wrote: Ah - I did not realise this. I'd seen their examples on their site https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/info/2011 ... _7_place/2
and noticed all their examples had six choices. I'll trim the list a bit! Many thanks for that information.
Totally depends on circumstances - you have v good score and are in catchment for a GS (KEA) that offers to all in catchment who reach the priority score + in line for the non catchment BV.
The larger numbers of slots are needed when trying to juggle the multiple non-selective (and selective) schools that a child may have a chance at (of depending on what everybody else puts) based on siblings, distance, faith etc etc
ChesterJS

Post by ChesterJS »

Hi all, my daughter scored 212 in the Birmingham exam & she did much better in the Walsall exam so I’m quite confused at the moment as whether I should risk putting Sutton Girls as 1st choice as she may go in a waiting list or QM 1st where she has a better score & hopefully get a offer. A family member told me if I don’t put QM first I will miss the chance of getting her in there, is this correct? The QM letter doesn’t say to put as a 1st choice it just says make sure you put it as a choice. Please can anyone advise as I don’t want to mess it up my daughter who has worked hard & if shes got a better score should I put QM 1st to eliminate risks & Sutton Girls 2nd (Sutton Girls is preferred choice as we live close but with her mark I’m not sure she has enough). Thank you.
New 11+ mum

Post by New 11+ mum »

This may help https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... nce-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From what I've read, if you don't get offered first choice but get offered second choice you can still be on the waiting list for the first choice. But see if someone else agrees with that, I'm certain I've read it somewhere but don't know where.