Grammar system is brutal...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

double_aces

Re: Grammar system is brutal...

Post by double_aces »

@Richard 111

I also agree that we'll probably see a marginal reduction in grades over the coming years.

However, I'm of the opinion that the trade-off is worth it. A fairer system, with Increased social mobility and arguably a better quality of life for those children not having to commute xx miles every day.
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

High 11+ scores are usually inline with more exam preparation whether that be outside tutoring or workbooks at home with parents.

Top set Primary school kids will need some exam familiatisation, supportive parents and a few mock test to be n with a good chance. Nerves will also play a big part in exam results.

I am sure there are plenty of high scoring kids at Handworth, Aston and the Sutton Coldfield schools that we don't hear of.

Score will not matter when they start in Y7 as everyone will be on a level pegging.
JustOutside

Post by JustOutside »

double_aces wrote:I think the bigger impact is felt on marginal candidates (scoring 220-30), and access to resources may make that crucial difference.

In my small sample size (all of similar intelligence) ive noticed a correlation between tutoring and score. 338 (3 yrs) to 201 (home tutored).
That’s a good point, @double_aces, about the marginal candidates. DD’s class is a mixed ability class in a not particularly affluent area, and I’m not sure anyone was heavily tutored, so what happened in her class was that the very bright ones got in easily, the other top set ones are borderline, and the middle-of-the-class ones missed out (1/3 of the class took the test). However, I’ve since heard from a friend from a more affluent area, whose experience was almost all of the children in her DC’s class took the test, almost all of them received external tutoring, and there were a lot of borderline scores and quite a few upset children.
JustOutside

Post by JustOutside »

Goodbyekitty wrote:I am sure there are plenty of high scoring kids at Handworth, Aston and the Sutton Coldfield schools that we don't hear of.
For those of us residing just outside the catchment area (Sandwell, in our case), the above schools and the Walsall schools are our sensible options, in terms of commute. Surely these schools must attract a few high-achieving children from these areas?

Anecdotally, I know someone that picked Handsworth Boys a few years ago (pre-catchments) with a score in the 270s because of location - and is very happy there. Our DD achieved 250+ and will be going to SCGSG.
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

JustOutside wrote:
Goodbyekitty wrote:I am sure there are plenty of high scoring kids at Handworth, Aston and the Sutton Coldfield schools that we don't hear of.
For those of us residing just outside the catchment area (Sandwell, in our case), the above schools and the Walsall schools are our sensible options, in terms of commute. Surely these schools must attract a few high-achieving children from these areas?

Anecdotally, I know someone that picked Handsworth Boys a few years ago (pre-catchments) with a score in the 270s because of location - and is very happy there. Our DD achieved 250+ and will be going to SCGSG.
Well done to your DD!

My friends son attends KE Fiveways and this was before priority scores. She has not been impressed with the school at all. But I suppose every parents expectations is different. :D
Nella

Post by Nella »

Goodbyekitty wrote:
My friends son attends KE Fiveways and this was before priority scores. She has not been impressed with the school at all. But I suppose every parents expectations is different. :
Yep- if you are expecting good behaviour because it’s a grammar school then think again. Twin 1’s lessons (grammar) appear to be subject to far more disruption than twin 2’s (comp).
Academically the children are pushed. Pastorally I’ve been more impressed by the comprehensive school.
Staff turnover is something to look at too.
parent8

Post by parent8 »

grammar schools, i found most interesting is children with more or less similar way of thinking clumped together, they make easy friends but Is it good for them on long run? dont think so. it gives them a skewed picture of society, They don't come across children with various other abilities or difficulties.
facilities at school? , most of the comprehensive are better equipped i think.
another issue, most grammars here are either boys or girls only, during crucial stage of their development, deprives them the understanding of opposite gender, doing them no favour
RC11plus

Post by RC11plus »

There has long been a debate over the state grammar school system and whether it should be abolished. Yes it can appear brutal, but in my opinion it serves a purpose. My DD has just started at WGHS, thankfully there is no catchment for the school as we are out of area and have no state grammar schools within our LA. The commute is not too long. We decided not to tutor, simply because I took the view that she needed to be able to do it off her own accord and didn’t want her to struggle for the 7 years she’d be at the school. Yes she had the benefit of books, but we didn’t pay to sit any mocks. She passed the exam and deservedly was offered a place. Some of her classmates were tutored - however there were no real surprises as to which child passed and didn’t. Did the tutoring help? I’m not sure as some of those pupils were destined to pass.

So fast forward to the end of our first term, what is my daughter’s verdict? She loves school again. She loves the challenge it provides her, something she didn’t get in her state school where one teacher has to cope with a wide range of ability. She feels like she belongs, she’s made friends with like-minded people, she’s happy and finally comfortable being bright - she told me she didn’t like standing out as being one of the bright ones at her old school, and I think it held her back. Does she miss out not seeing the diversity of abilities out there - I don’t think she does. She still has a set of friends from her old school who she sees and who live locally, some of them boys. She’s well aware that some children struggle academically - just like she’s aware everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

Is the grammar system brutal or wrong, or is it the whole educational system needs an overhaul so that each child’s needs can be met in whichever school they are in? Or maybe there is no ideal solution and one cap doesn’t fit all? I don’t know but what I do know is that the choice of grammar school for my child was the right one, she was lucky enough to get a place and did that through her own hard work.
double_aces

Post by double_aces »

@parent8

I think you make some really interesting observations, particularly around single sex schools.

I guess we can only hope for the best..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now