Aston or HWB?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
double_aces

Aston or HWB?

Post by double_aces »

Hi, appreciate some advice.

We are in CHB catchment area, however as DS scored 222, unlikely to get place in catchment.

However, based on previous years intake it appears likely DS will be offered a place at both HWB or Aston.

Both of these schools are pretty much equal travelling distance / time.

HWB isn't having an opening evening in Oct, and Aston 'may' have one.

We now need to decide which of these schools will be higher preference on the CAF form. Appreciate any advice in which of these schools you would choose (or have chosen) and reasons why.

Thank you in advance.
JustOutside

Re: Aston or HWB?

Post by JustOutside »

A friend managed to get a tour of HWB by ringing up and asking, so it might be worth giving both schools a call. No harm in trying!
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

We looked round both on a school day (in a small group) and preferred Handsworth! But it's personal preference and it's very hard to decide without seeing the schools in action. I would definitely ask if you can have tours of both on a school day. I'm sure you can't really go wrong though, so I would otherwise decide on ease of travel - bus/train, how many different options, how frequent they are etc.
SH031

Post by SH031 »

double_aces wrote:Hi, appreciate some advice.

We are in CHB catchment area, however as DS scored 222, unlikely to get place in catchment.

However, based on previous years intake it appears likely DS will be offered a place at both HWB or Aston.

Both of these schools are pretty much equal travelling distance / time.

HWB isn't having an opening evening in Oct, and Aston 'may' have one.

We now need to decide which of these schools will be higher preference on the CAF form. Appreciate any advice in which of these schools you would choose (or have chosen) and reasons why.

Thank you in advance.
Is Bishop Vesey to far travel wise.

I would go Aston first if it was me
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

My son goes to HGS and is very happy there - he's year 11 now. I'm sure KEA would say the same as it is very much an individual choice. My other son is at a different grammar, which suits him too.

In my experience (because my son did not join at the usual time) HGS are happy to show parents round, if you contact them.
TST

Post by TST »

Aston are doing open day appointments this week. You do have to phone and book. My son has been there for over 2 years now and I have not a single complaint. Lockdowns were managed smoothly online and teachers are responsive to emails.
double_aces

Post by double_aces »

Hi everyone.

Thank you everyone for your replies. We are booked in for tours at Aston this week, and hopefully HWB soon.

I imagine they are both good soon, and will come down to personal preferance, and some unknown factors.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now