KES interviews

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Firstimer

KES interviews

Post by Firstimer »

Hi everyone.
Have KES called anyone for interview for either scholarship/ bursary?
fm19

Re: KES interviews

Post by fm19 »

Yes, they have.

I think they started off just at the beginning of this half- term.

But the process tends to be spread out over a matter of a couple of weeks so boys may still be called who have not been so far.
Firstimer

Post by Firstimer »

Thank you for that information
The_Graduate

Post by The_Graduate »

KES are interviewing approx 50 candidates for the 25 assisted places. Interviews are taken place every Saturday starting from 6th November. I presume they have advised all the candidates by now.
Firstimer

Post by Firstimer »

The_Graduate wrote:KES are interviewing approx 50 candidates for the 25 assisted places. Interviews are taken place every Saturday starting from 6th November. I presume they have advised all the candidates by now.
I’m assuming they will be holding scholarship interviews alongside the assisted places interviews?
The_Graduate

Post by The_Graduate »

Yes they should be interviewing all the candidates including assisted, scholarships and border line. May be they are still contacting parents via phone for an interview.
DavJam99

Post by DavJam99 »

We were contacted about 10 days ago to arrange a scholarship interview for our son. It has been arranged for a mid-week date in the morning. The interview will be 10 - 15 minutes with our son and then another 10 -15 minutes with us. We are looking forward to meeting the Chief Master and the Deputy Chief Master, both of whom will be present during the interview.

The most difficult part of this whole process is not being able to visit the school. The online open was good and informative but it is sometimes hard to see past the marketing and the curated impression that the schools want to give parents. This makes making a decision about the best place for your child to be educated even more difficult.

The decision we have to make is simply this; does our son go to a state grammar school, or is KES worth the cost as it will allow our son to achieve more academically and be offered far more opportunities?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DavJam99 wrote:We were contacted about 10 days ago to arrange a scholarship interview for our son. It has been arranged for a mid-week date in the morning. The interview will be 10 - 15 minutes with our son and then another 10 -15 minutes with us. We are looking forward to meeting the Chief Master and the Deputy Chief Master, both of whom will be present during the interview.

The most difficult part of this whole process is not being able to visit the school. The online open was good and informative but it is sometimes hard to see past the marketing and the curated impression that the schools want to give parents. This makes making a decision about the best place for your child to be educated even more difficult.

The decision we have to make is simply this; does our son go to a state grammar school, or is KES worth the cost as it will allow our son to achieve more academically and be offered far more opportunities?
good luck with the interview!

Independent schools are incredibly good at giving a great impression if you visit - it is essential to them to market it well. I visited one and there was a 1-1 tour for a couple of hours and then tea - felt I got a really good view of the place but of course that was the purpose.

A few decades ago (alright many decades ago) when KEHS / KES had majority free places, there were no open days, first time I saw KEHS was at the exam and then next time was the school medical and after that some induction day.

The buildings and grounds at the school are stunning - great facilities and lovely ambience, real history and tradition.

When the places were free it was a no brainer over the all the other GS (including Solihull) - most of the LEAs also paid for our travel. Now I am not so sure whether it is better or not - I think the Grammar Schools in B'ham have improved and certainly are more competitive than they were.

TBH - see what think on the day, see what they offer in the way of scholarship / bursary funding (if you have applied) - you will find it easier to decide then.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

State schools have admissions; independent schools have sales and marketing...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mike1880 wrote:State schools have admissions; independent schools have sales and marketing...
so true! I remember a relative discussing the sofas she wanted for her office as Head of a indie boarding school - had to make parents feel comfortable.

It do miss the old KEHS/KES who genuinely admitted on academic ability, had good relations with several of the LEAs who paid the fees of their residents and when the LEA wouldn't pay the governors and foundation had deep pockets to pay the fees instead