Queen mary boys or Bishop vesey?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mumof004

Queen mary boys or Bishop vesey?

Post by Mumof004 »

Hi my DS scored enough to get in to either school. Could anyone offer any pointers about each school? We haven't been to see either.

We live in great barr
Distance from home to Qmgs 3.3 miles

Distance from home to BV 6 miles

Thankyou
hermanmunster

Re: Queen mary boys or Bishop vesey?

Post by hermanmunster »

I would always go for the nearer but of course sometimes there is an easy 6 mile journey ie one bus etc and a grotty 3.3 mile, long walk, more than one bus - have you had a look at the options for travel?
Mumof004

Post by Mumof004 »

Yes travel is not a huge issue he will catch the bus from either one. I just wanted to know academically and extra curricular wise which one stands out more?
Nella

Post by Nella »

Hi. Which one is easiest to get to? I would choose that one.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Mumof004 wrote:Yes travel is not a huge issue he will catch the bus from either one. I just wanted to know academically and extra curricular wise which one stands out more?
That's good re transport

Sometimes it comes down to interests eg music / types of sport etc - what sort of extra-curricular things would you be looking for
Nella

Post by Nella »

Mumof004 wrote:Yes travel is not a huge issue he will catch the bus from either one. I just wanted to know academically and extra curricular wise which one stands out more?
Academically- things can change a lot in 5/6 years, as can extracurricular activities. Travel time for me would be number 1 factor
Mumof004

Post by Mumof004 »

OK brilliant thanku I think that's helpful as they are both great schools
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Mumof004 wrote:OK brilliant thanku I think that's helpful as they are both great schools
I think they are both very good schools - the problem with anything extra-curricular (or even curricular) is that it can change - for example a school may offer astronomy GCSE because one of the physics teachers is interested in it - a couple of years on and they move elsewhere and no-one wants to do it. Similarly with languages, if there is not the demand they will focus resources elsewhere. For extra-curricular it can be down to staff interests also and these can change when the staff change
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I would agree that going to the nearest would be my top criteria as they are similar in many ways academically.

We have one at QMGS and the school has been excellent for him.
Twinmomma

Post by Twinmomma »

I have twins who have started year 7 one at QM and the other at BV. I would agree with others and think about distance. QM have extra curricular activities starting at 7.30am and if you want your DS to take part he will need to get there on time. So far both boys are enjoying their respective schools. A few differences to note BV finishes between 3.05-3.15 where as QM finishes at 3.40….. BV has given the boys homework and DS has got into a good routine. QM decided not to set any this half term allowing them to settle in so someone is in for a shook next term. I feel DS at QM has got involved in more activities but I think that is due to interests and personality. BV have more of an offer of extra paid activities such as speech lessons, drama, self defence. Communication is good from both schools, responsive to emails and queries. Currently, I would say there is not much in it but it’s early days for us.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now