Advise requested with school selection and CAF listing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Springplus

Advise requested with school selection and CAF listing

Post by Springplus »

Dear experts / parents / tutors, please advise me.

DD scored 248 in Warwickshire and 370+ in Walsall consortium. Not PP. Warwickshire results are shared with Birmingham but we are OOC and can’t move before 31st October to Birmingham. But happy to relocate before Sep ‘22 (renting now) for a better school.

We understand that Sutton Coldfield, Wolverhampton girls and Walsall Queen Mary’s don’t have catchment criteria. We are in catchment of Rugby high school and Ashlawn now.

Looking for an academically better school but not too much of pressure.

Can we get into Camp Hill Girls?
What should be our order of CAF preference (and chances of securing seat) from: Camp Hill girls, Rugby high school, Five ways, Handsworth girls, Sutton Coldfield, Wolverhampton girls, Queen Mary’s girls, Ashlawn?

Many thanks in advance
mad?

Re: Advise requested with school selection and CAF listing

Post by mad? »

Springplus wrote:Dear experts / parents / tutors, please advise me.
DD scored 248 in Warwickshire and 370+ in Walsall consortium. Not PP. Warwickshire results are shared with Birmingham but we are OOC and can’t move before 31st October to Birmingham. But happy to relocate before Sep ‘22 (renting now) for a better school.
We understand that Sutton Coldfield, Wolverhampton girls and Walsall Queen Mary’s don’t have catchment criteria. We are in catchment of Rugby high school and Ashlawn now.
Looking for an academically better school but not too much of pressure.
Can we get into Camp Hill Girls?
What should be our order of CAF preference (and chances of securing seat) from: Camp Hill girls, Rugby high school, Five ways, Handsworth girls, Sutton Coldfield, Wolverhampton girls, Queen Mary’s girls, Ashlawn?Many thanks in advance
Your order of preference should be the order in which you prefer the schools. You should always include a fall back option - that is a school you are 100% guaranteed to be eligible for, even if it is not one you would ideally choose. You need to read the admissions criteria for the schools concerned but it would seem to me that both Rugby High and Ashlawn meet your criteria and might not involve a move, so inyhour situation those would be my top 2 preferences.
mad?
Springplus

Post by Springplus »

Thank you for the advice. Will ensure that either RHS or Ashlawn or both are included in the CAF form.
I am bit concerned that I am not trying my level best to secure a seat in a better school and feeling like doing an injustice to the child that proved the capability by scoring well.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Camp Hill girls,
Rugby high school,
Five ways,
Handsworth girls,
Sutton Coldfield,
Wolverhampton girls,
Queen Mary’s girls,
Ashlawn?
You have honestly got to decide where you want to live.
You may get Camp Hill Girls & Five Ways but no-one knows until March 1st.

Why not go for RHS or Ashlawn and avoid having to move?

You have to look at why you consider a school to be "better" - results at the end are often just a reflection of the intake of pupils overall - each individual child will probably do much the same at different "good" schools
Springplus

Post by Springplus »

Many thanks Hermanmunster - “You have to look at why you consider a school to be "better" - results at the end are often just a reflection of the intake of pupils overall - each individual child will probably do much the same at different "good" schools” - These lines gives me clarity to take right decision.